X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • i!!ustrious
    I got some N64 Games Yo!!
    • Mar 2008

Re: All Vinyl Dj Sets

wutup Miro, glad to see ya homie. how's shit goin?

anyways, some career moves didn't work out as planned on my end --- oh well, fuck it. still trying to pay a visit here when time permits.

btw [ms]: the DJ database is fucking agg! great job growin that y'all.
    (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• i!!ustrious
      I got some N64 Games Yo!!
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by nikoa
      I agree with this as I think it applies in almost all cases.

However, for me personally I'd like to know if the set is all vinyl as from a technical perspective I'd have a better appreciation of the mix.

Ultimately it's all about the music though.

true that. but a challenger appears. "aye yo check it. listen real closely to how i break this slang shit down..."

take your raw vinyl cut, stick that shit in abletonz live 3 (winrar ensues), then, tediously tinker SHIT EVERYWHERE in cubase; after that...delete the file and system 32. you've just won the game @_@

but dude, why the fuck not say it's an all vinyl set? i welcome vinyl snobs; they preserve a forsaken steelo. and you know that shit's forsaken brah. and they should stop the war on it o.O
      (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Caley Martin
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Oct 2004

Bright Start Musical is your music therapy. Here, you will learn about the latest trends and updates of the music industry along with what’s happening in the life of your favorite musician

and counterpoint

There's an interesting interview with Theo Parrish on the Scion Audio Visual website, where he eloquently explains why he's continued to play on vinyl.
        For your aural infusion of Caley:
        http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
        http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
        http://ultrawizardsword.net
        RA: Caley

Comment

• Steve Graham
          DJ Jelly
          • Jun 2004

In February the local FM radio station around here is doing an all vinyl month, I think it's going to be cool because there are a lot of talented dj's around here with very different styles and definitely will have interesting music tastes and selection.
          myself and one of my label mates, Andy Mara, will playing in a couple of weeks, so I'm really looking forward to pulling out some gems I don't get to play very often.

having said that, some of the nights around that are labeled as "Vinyl Only" are clearly just using it as a gimmick, so I see both sides of the argument.
          The radio show is an ongoing thing for a month. If it were just a night I was promoting, I wouldn't list what format, same as seeing "Digital Set" on a flier.. who cares, just play good music

Comment

• mnbvcxz
            Platinum Poster
            • Feb 2006

^^^ yeah, putting that information on an event flyer is stupid.

Comment

• Miroslav
              WHOA I can change this!1!
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by i!!ustrious
              wutup Miro, glad to see ya homie. how's shit goin?

anyways, some career moves didn't work out as planned on my end --- oh well, fuck it. still trying to pay a visit here when time permits.

btw [ms]: the DJ database is fucking agg! great job growin that y'all.
              Sorry to hear that, man... things are ok here, steady... I just recently resurfaced around here after an absence of years, I think. Somehow I just fell out of the habit, and one day I realized I missed it. But I never stopped listening to the beats.
              mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Michael J
                Getting Somewhere
                • Mar 2006

If you're in or travel to New York, please PM me so we can hang before it- I throw a monthly vinyl party called House Party.

Here is what I do for your consideration (all sets are vinyl + dubplate):

Mike Bugged also known as Bugged Bunny fell in love with electronic music at an early age. From listening and attending parties he moved on to promoting for underground events as well as legendary cl

Coming up:
                Gonzo
                Love Sound Project
                Tommy Etzi
                Big Ears
                Chris Miller
                DGI M.O.B.

2/19 @ L.P. & Harmony 683 Grand St, Brooklyn, New York
                Off the Charts Records (Intl)
                House Party (Brooklyn)

Comment

• fatalfelix
                  Platinum Poster
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by trick12
                  i wouldnt care about an all set vinyl, but id like to see a dj use em sometime during his mix,,,it def has a nice feel to see a vinyl being pulled out and waved to the crowd and then played
                  I agree

At the other hand vinyl dj's are sometimes overrated. I don't play that often, but when I play live I use Traktor. People like the music, but I don't get the same honor in comparison with a vinyl dj. Sometimes I hear people scream: "yeah that's a real dj, he's playing vinyl !!!" but overal he might be playing vinyl but his set sounds awfull.Sometimes it's not only the crowd but also the too much selfrespected dj. When they come up they look at your midi gear like: "fuck off with that crap, now the real dj comes in".

But after all I don't care about those guys. I had a great night and I know that the set was pretty nice and without trainwrecking, fucked up crossovers and tripping needles . At home I use vinyl timecode btw. It's really nice to play with, but I don't see that much + points of doing the same thing live.
                  "Computer games don’t affect kids: I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Comment

• Miroslav
                    WHOA I can change this!1!
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by fatalfelix
                    I agree

At the other hand vinyl dj's are sometimes overrated. I don't play that often, but when I play live I use Traktor. People like the music, but I don't get the same honor in comparison with a vinyl dj. Sometimes I hear people scream: "yeah that's a real dj, he's playing vinyl !!!" but overal he might be playing vinyl but his set sounds awfull.Sometimes it's not only the crowd but also the too much selfrespected dj. When they come up they look at your midi gear like: "fuck off with that crap, now the real dj comes in".

But after all I don't care about those guys. I had a great night and I know that the set was pretty nice and without trainwrecking, fucked up crossovers and tripping needles . At home I use vinyl timecode btw. It's really nice to play with, but I don't see that much + points of doing the same thing live.
                    Was going to say... Traktor + timecode vinyl is the solution for what you describe - if that's what you care about. Also, people with fully synced Traktor setups have the freedom to do other things with their music that the traditional DJ can't...do that well and there should be respect.
                    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• 88Mariner
                      My dick is smaller
                      • Nov 2006

lettuce be tomato, if it's an all vinyl set, that PRACTICALLY guarantees there will be no swedish douche mafia, douchemau5, douchid guetta to be heard.

that can't be a bad thing imo.
                      you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• 88Mariner
                        My dick is smaller
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by i!!ustrious
                        true that. but a challenger appears. "aye yo check it. listen real closely to how i break this slang shit down..."

take your raw vinyl cut, stick that shit in abletonz live 3 (winrar ensues), then, tediously tinker SHIT EVERYWHERE in cubase; after that...delete the file and system 32. you've just won the game @_@

but dude, why the fuck not say it's an all vinyl set? i welcome vinyl snobs; they preserve a forsaken steelo. and you know that shit's forsaken brah. and they should stop the war on it o.O
                        lovin' your avatar lol. may have to find a bubble pipe some day
                        you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

----PEACE-----

Comment

• GreenLantern
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Miroslav
                          As a long-time fan of vinyl, I can sometimes see value in listing a mix as "all vinyl" - not from a standpoint of superiority but rather for clarity of the methodology used for people who find some personal nostalgic value in records. People also sometimes describe their sets as live PA vs Mix and as all-original compositions vs. 5 things layered simultaneously, etc. Of course the sound coming out is of ultimate importance; if the methodology or approach to the mix is considered unimportant, then the listener can always ignore that
                          information.
                          amen....and well put

Comment

• trick12
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                            lettuce be tomato, if it's an all vinyl set, that PRACTICALLY guarantees there will be no swedish douche mafia
                            hahah, thats right too
                            Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• BureOne
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

I love vinyl! but I aint no vinyl snob or anything. I remember posting some "Classic Prog" sets from early 2000 here and they were all done with vinyl but I did not make that a requirement or statement. The point was playing classic progressive music and it just happened that all of it was on vinyl.

Recently I've been on a vinyl binge!, don't know why really. Been playing a lot of disco recently and I actually went to Amoeba records in Hollywood to get me some more stuff. Was there for 3 hours.

I love it there's nothing like it, the feel, the look and the smell. But I love my mp3's as well.

Like most people said, its really about the music. If it sounds good and moves you, it don't matter if its coming from a cell phone next to a mic!

Comment

• 88Mariner
                                My dick is smaller
                                • Nov 2006

^ i would probably not go clubbing anymore if it got to the point that the music blasting from the speakers was coming from a dj who was mixing music on his blackberry phone from which it was transmitted via infrared to a nearby amp/reciever

----PEACE-----

Comment

Working...