• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BureOne
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Re: All Vinyl Dj Sets

LOL.. yeah. I exaggerated a bit there!

You know a funny story.. I had a party in December.. was mixing all vinyl, people were dancin', I was in the zone and shit. moving faders, twisting knobs, messing with eq's adjusting sound levels (playing mainly disco and new wave). one of my co-workers was standing there watching me mix.

The follwing week, he was making fun of me. stating that all that movement and drama behind the decks and nothiing was changing through the speakers. He said I was playing the same song. Apparently he knows nothing about mixing. Little did he know the crossfader was in the middle, all that "movement" was because both tracks were playing simultaneously and he could not tell.

I know, this has nothing to do with vinyl vs digital.. but anyway; we talked about dj'ing and I was explaining about some of all that was for beatmatching as well, moving the pitch control and adjust the vinyl.

He then said something that kind of irked me. He said "fool, Im getting a hardware/software program that will connect to my laptop, all you have to do is push a button to match the beats fool".

I just said, you dont know what being a dj really is you faggot.

Comment

• Steve Graham
      DJ Jelly
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BureOne
      LOL.. yeah. I exaggerated a bit there!

You know a funny story.. I had a party in December.. was mixing all vinyl, people were dancin', I was in the zone and shit. moving faders, twisting knobs, messing with eq's adjusting sound levels (playing mainly disco and new wave). one of my co-workers was standing there watching me mix.

The follwing week, he was making fun of me. stating that all that movement and drama behind the decks and nothiing was changing through the speakers. He said I was playing the same song. Apparently he knows nothing about mixing. Little did he know the crossfader was in the middle, all that "movement" was because both tracks were playing simultaneously and he could not tell.

I know, this has nothing to do with vinyl vs digital.. but anyway; we talked about dj'ing and I was explaining about some of all that was for beatmatching as well, moving the pitch control and adjust the vinyl.

He then said something that kind of irked me. He said "fool, Im getting a hardware/software program that will connect to my laptop, all you have to do is push a button to match the beats fool".

I just said, you dont know what being a dj really is you faggot.
      perfect!

Comment

• 88Mariner
        My dick is smaller
        • Nov 2006

i'm trying to think of a good analogy for a comeback.

"that's funny because i'm getting a hardware/software program that will connect my laptop to your girlfirend's pussy -all you have to do is push a button to make her hit the high notes. fool."
        you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Steve Graham
          DJ Jelly
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by 88Mariner
          i'm trying to think of a good analogy for a comeback.

"that's funny because i'm getting a hardware/software program that will connect my laptop to your girlfirend's pussy -all you have to do is push a button to make her hit the high notes. fool."
          OR.. "I'm having sex with your girlfriend"

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
            OR.. "I'm having sex with your girlfriend"
            and your mom.

Comment

• Caley Martin
              MCast Resident DJ
              • Oct 2004

don't forget grandma!
              For your aural infusion of Caley:
              http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
              http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
              http://ultrawizardsword.net
              RA: Caley

Comment

• hulkhuss
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

great thread, i like all 3 mediums
                http://www.mixcloud.com/RMasie/

http://soundcloud.com/r-masie

https://www.facebook.com/R-Masie-117851198318029/

Comment

• DIDI
                  Aussie Pest
                  • Nov 2004

^^^ Girlfriend, mom and grandma ?????
                  Originally posted by TheVrk
                  it IS incredible isn't it??
                  STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                  Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                  The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• trick12
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Jenks
                    and your mom.
                    and your dad watched
                    Life's pretty fast..blup..blup...We made it!!

Comment

• Steve Graham
                      DJ Jelly
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hulkhuss
                      great thread, i like all 3 mediums
                      Originally posted by DIDI
                      ^^^ Girlfriend, mom and grandma ?????

the sexual trifecta!

Comment

• 88Mariner
                        My dick is smaller
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                        the sexual trifecta!
                        and the dad watching? a sexual hambone?
                        you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• gizze
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jul 2010

I don't get what peoples fascination is with what medium the sets are played on, I don't even look at what a DJ is using, I just listen to the music.
                          I had so many people message me on soundcloud to ask what I was using that I had to put it in my profile in the end. I honestly don't understand the fascination, and so what if I use Traktor or Serato, or CD or Vinyl, or time coded 1200s vs Xone: DX??

It is all just a tool to get the music out there.

Three of my favourite Sasha sets are Harmony from around '93 I guess, Warung Beach (2006?) and Fabric recently.

1st one is vinyl and just great mix of tunes that can't help you smile.

2nd one is ableton and the tunes are messed around with like mad, part 2 is just sublime and when you know the records you realise just how much he is editing them, but he is not ruining the flow, which is what so many ableton DJs tend to do, it never sounds edited and that is important.

And the last set is back to basics, pair of CDJ200's blending 2 tunes together, yeah the looper is being used, but it sounds good, it sounds raw and it sounds very live.

To me it is all about the tunes being played, media really doesn't matter a toss.
                          My Soundcloud page...
                          GuyMiddleton's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

^^^ Well said !
                            Originally posted by TheVrk
                            it IS incredible isn't it??
                            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Steve Graham
                              DJ Jelly
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by gizze
                              I don't get what peoples fascination is with what medium the sets are played on, I don't even look at what a DJ is using, I just listen to the music.
                              I had so many people message me on soundcloud to ask what I was using that I had to put it in my profile in the end. I honestly don't understand the fascination, and so what if I use Traktor or Serato, or CD or Vinyl, or time coded 1200s vs Xone: DX??

It is all just a tool to get the music out there.

Three of my favourite Sasha sets are Harmony from around '93 I guess, Warung Beach (2006?) and Fabric recently.

1st one is vinyl and just great mix of tunes that can't help you smile.

2nd one is ableton and the tunes are messed around with like mad, part 2 is just sublime and when you know the records you realise just how much he is editing them, but he is not ruining the flow, which is what so many ableton DJs tend to do, it never sounds edited and that is important.

And the last set is back to basics, pair of CDJ200's blending 2 tunes together, yeah the looper is being used, but it sounds good, it sounds raw and it sounds very live.

To me it is all about the tunes being played, media really doesn't matter a toss.
                              I don't know that it's a "fascination"
                              I personally like to know what someone uses to make a promo for my own geeky techy curiosity

saying it's all about the tunes being played is like saying the sky is blue, we know that, but for some of us it's nice to know what's being used, in the studio

as far as mixing in clubs, I'm with you to an extent, I don't need to see it on the flier or promo material who's playing on what, because unless they're playing from an iPod (which I feel pretty confident in saying any dj I would want to go see would never do that) it isn't going to make or break my decision to go.. having said that, it is somewhat refreshing to see a dj playing vinyl in a club because you know you'll most likely hear some tunes you've more than likely not heard all over the place and it took time and effort to search for the tracks, rather than just point click download

I must say though I'm a bit tired of hearing some local dj's constantly slagging off technology and making sure everyone within ear shot knows you only play vinyl and will NEVER move over to the dark side, it doesn't make you sound cool it makes you sound like a tosser

Comment

• BureOne
                                Are you Kidding me??
                                • Jun 2004

Comment

Working...