New idea/concept for a record label, would love your opinions and thoughtsI've been t

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jayson
    Addiction started
    • Nov 2004

New idea/concept for a record label, would love your opinions and thoughtsI've been t

I've been thinking a lot about staring up a label, where instead of releasing tracks, you would just release the actual stems along with the midi files for each stem.

Now the "tracks" are ultra versatile. If you like the groove, but don't like the lead sound, just load up your own VST and boom, you're done! You can turn an electro into a techno,house, tech house, minimal and so on track in minutes and even make your own dubs from it and so on. As long as you like the groove and hook there's no reason you shouldn't buy it because you can use it any way you want to fit into your set.

And as an artist, you just have to come up with a 4 bar groove (just a groove really, length doesn't matter), and not even worry about doing the arrangement. Just mix it down and call it a day. Wouldn't even have to add effects, unless it makes up a specific sound.

Ideally we would be aiming this at Ableton DJs, but any DJ can scoop it up as you have the freedom to make your own arrangement and bounce it down.

Whatcha think? Could it work well? Is this the next generation of "record" labels and what DJ's could become?

Let me know what you guys are thinking, would love to hear some feedback

Cheers!

And just to repeat, you're not really buying a loop pack. Imagine a producer making a track, but also releasing the stems along with it, as well as the midi tracks. The idea is to be able to manipulate in a way that it fits what you're doing, and to make each DJ/Ableton set sound unique and individual to that performer. So now you can really start to leave your mark on people, as they may recognize a certain part from the track, but they will really be impressed with what you've done with it and how you played it live and made it fit the mood and feeling for that particular moment in that specific club. Now the next night, you can still be playing the same track, but maybe the mood is different so you might strip it down, and use more subtle FX and groove it out instead of having it be a peak time bomb with a lot of buil up and drops.

Just to repeat, you're not buying these tracks to use the parts in your own commercial tracks, you're buying these parts to use in your DJ and performance sets and to be able to manipulate them and make them fit your style.
    Piss off you phucking wanksters!
  • danielRR
    Getting Somewhere
    • May 2008

Re: New idea/concept for a record label, would love your opinions and thoughtsI've be

I can see the interesting aspect of this. It could be neat to hear somebody perform a well known and liked melody for example and then put it in another key, using a different sound source and then layer it over a new beat. If you were skilled, this could be a pretty cool thing.

But on the other hand, if you're that skilled, you should be making your own material and not using other people's creations. Sample packs and all these pre-packaged top lines, bass lines and loops are such bullshit.
    http://soundcloud.com/lexajune

Comment

• Jayson
      Addiction started
      • Nov 2004

Re: New idea/concept for a record label, would love your opinions and thoughtsI've be

Some times it's nice to just be able to perform and have more tools are your disposal as well. And just because you have a solid understand of music theory and Ableton doesn't mean you are automatically gifted as a song writer. So now you are able to perform and use your skills with proven leads and basslines. Perhaps your good at making grooves but not so much at writing leads.

There's so much potential out there with this to leave your mark and have your set/performance really be your own.

And there's nothing wrong with loop/sample packs. After listening to them I hear them EVERY where now, even in established high profile producers songs. And there's nothing wrong with that at all. As long as you're not relying on them and are using them to get inspired then by all means use them.

Comment

• danielRR
        Getting Somewhere
        • May 2008

Yeah for sure. I definitely do see the positive aspects of your idea. I was trashing sample packs strictly from a production side of things, but i suppose the line can get blurry.
        http://soundcloud.com/lexajune

Comment

• thebanned1
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • May 2009

i dont think its a good idea, if i,m correct then what ur talking about is releasing midi files samples and of course synth patches to the buyer, i dont think there are many artists out there who will sign up to the idea because they themselves are trying to create their own sound and of course as the label pushes out "that" sound as a package the chances of creating something unique diminishes, you also completely over looked one thing, copyright....your basically asking an artist to make royalty free music, no body buys midi files, possibly people would buy samples and synth patches but if this is the case then why not just make sample cd's?
          How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• Jayson
            Addiction started
            • Nov 2004

It would all be a single purchase, you couldn't just pick and choose what stems you want, and the midi files would be bundled in there as a courtesy.

I'm not trying to make loop/sample packs. I want the artists to make a song, but not worry about the arrangement. You as the consumer would do the arrangement as you see fit to make it work for your style. I wouldn't be releasing the synth patches as the ieea is for you to make your own if you don't like the way the original track sounds.

And I don't understand how it would be diminishing their sound? And how would copyright be an issue? It would just be like any other track, you wouldn't be allowed to use the stems for your commercial releases but you can manipulate to perform live as you need too.

And I wouldn't be releasing "single" hits, just the stems. You're more than welcome to hack them up if you want to use the samples to make a new pattern.

And how am I asking them to make royalty free music? They will still be getting compensated a percentage of each sale just like any other track.

Just to repeat again, these are not being sold or marketed as sample/loop packs. They are going to be promoted just like any other track by established producers, not as a sample/loop pack by the producer.

Comment

• thebanned1
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • May 2009

edit: never mind

i have well over a thousand loops i can sell you as i,m sure every other producer out there has

Comment

• Jayson
                Addiction started
                • Nov 2004

Yeah, same here, but that's not the point, not selling loop/sample packs. It'd kind of like getting the DJ tools of a track, just these are more flexible to now.

Comment

• pumper&dumper
                  Dumped but never pumped!
                  • Oct 2008

I think there is a market in artists selling their back catalogue for the amateur producer to play around with. I mean like from 2 years ago back. Imagine getting hold of some of the parts to some 90's tracks. The artist will make money from selling the packs and it shouldn't really bother them on the copyright after 2 years as the royalties would otherwise be none existent by this time

Comment

• thebanned1
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Jayson
                    Yeah, same here, but that's not the point, not selling loop/sample packs. It'd kind of like getting the DJ tools of a track, just these are more flexible to now.

well if ur selling stems places like beatport etc will charge for each stem thus making it not only open to abuse but kinda un popular and thus leading to people using ur shit in their own tunes, i dont think this is a good idea, people would rather download for free rather than pay for samples, think about it

Comment

• Jayson
                      Addiction started
                      • Nov 2004

Well I'm sure there's ways to work around it with beatport and other paysites. Just like when they do their remix contests, you pay the $3 dollars or whatever it is and get access to download all the stems. Would be the same concept as far as selling them on beatport.

And people would already download tunes for free already as it is and they already chop up tunes tunes to use in their own stuff so I see that as a moot argument.

And, to repeat once again, these are not going to be sample packs, but full on tunes the Artists are producing. The track is going to have a bassline, lead, pads, drum track and so on where everything is coherent and working together.

And like I said earlier as well, this is obviously more geared towards those who are using Ableton to perform. Just giving them more material to use and fall back on.

Comment

• JonQPublik
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Apr 2006

Not to rain on your parade, but I did get an email (perhaps a month ago) from Loopmasters (or one of their affiliates, idr), with this concept.

I probably didn't save my email, but I'll have a look.

edit: wow, I did have it....

http://soundcloud.com/jonqpublik/sets/love-and-other-stories

Comment

• Jayson
                          Addiction started
                          • Nov 2004

I know they have their DJ mix tools, but I looked at it and was not impressed with it. Not very flexible with how much you can do it with and they don't even include the midi files, and a lot of the tracks are bounced down together. You don't just have the hi hats on it's own track, it's usually bounced down with the Snare and percs as well. Like I said, not very flexible.

It's a step in the right direction. And another thing I don't like about their DJ Mix tools is that they are very cookie cutter as far as the genre they approach with each one, nothing very unique or original.

Comment

• kennysummit
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Feb 2011

i like the concept

Comment

• Jayson
                              Addiction started
                              • Nov 2004

Ha! Sort and to the point.

Comment

Working...