X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

GI JOE, thanks mom!

Christmas at my parent's house we were talking about old times and that I was quite the military nerd when I was a boy, probably because my dad was a Marine, my Grandpa fought in WW2, and a several of my family members had been in the military as well- I wanted nothing more than to be an officer in the military, I even used to wear my dad's dress blues for Halloween. So naturally most of my toys were GI Joe action figures, helicopters, jets, etc. I had a lot of them and I took care of them. Probably 25-30 years has passed since then, and I've always known that I probably had some old GI Joe stuff tossed in a box somewhere in storage at my parent's house, but had no idea what this past Christmas would bring. My parents went into the attic and dug out all my old GI Joe toys from 82-85. I was shocked at what I saw. All the toys were disassembled and put back in their original boxes. All of the figures had their file cards, all jets, helicopters, etc had their blueprints, all figures had their weapons. Everything was in pristine shape. My wife and I brought it all back to our loft in St. Louis and we began putting it all back together the week after Christmas and going online and finding out who was who and what was what.

Part of me wanted to save it all, but we don't have a place for it, and hanging on to this much stuff for nostalgia sake just seemed a bit much. Plus, they're starting to make replicas of the old toys, and it's driving down the collector value. So we posted all of it, individually, on ebay and have been selling it piece by piece.

We've made over $1100.00 so far, with most of the major pieces gone. Here are a few pics of the collection after we re-assembled it:

This aircraft carrier is 7ft long. It's the rare one too, from '84 I think, it brought @ $500.

What's left is a bunch of figurines and some weapons that we're going to bundle and sell as one package. Snake Eyes went for over $50 by himself. There are some serious GI Joe nerds out there selling pristing Cobra Commander for like $1000, unopened box, never played with. WTF? Why would you never play with a toy?

It was so much fun going through all this stuff remembering my childhood, plus the $1100 isn't bad either.

Thanks, Mom.
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

Re: GI JOE, thanks mom!

(is that vinyl turntables in the background! nostalgia all the way)
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• floridaorange
      I'm merely a humble butler
      • Dec 2005

Nothing says "spoiled" quite like the 7ft long aircraft carrier I'm messing with you dude, my neighbor had everything a kid could want growing up, power pad, nes glove, fisher price camcorder, and a myriad of GI joe stuff... anyway, it was great that he was my neighbor because my parents didn't buy much toys, although I was one of the first kids to get an NES Cool story, awesome that you are cashing in, that's just sic!

You should have taken it to:

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• BureOne
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

Thats awesome! I had a bunch of GI joes too.. but I fucked them all up playing in the mud! Some of the rubber bands holding the torso and legs went broke!..I had that transport chopper you got there too. Was my fav.. We left it outside and was stolen, fucking east l.a. hood!

Nice stuff..

Comment

• BureOne
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
          Nothing says "spoiled" quiet like the 7ft long aircraft carrier
          LOL. I didn't even know that existed back then!

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

"so what do you want to do with it son, pawn it or sell it?"

"sell it"

"I can offer you $30 for the aircraft carrier."

"I think I'll just hold on to it."

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

Nothing says "spoiled" quiet like the 7ft long aircraft carrier
              Touche. Honestly tho, I grew up on farm land in the country and worked my ass off which led to not having a shortage of GI Joes.

Comment

• floridaorange
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jenks
                Touche. Honestly tho, I grew up on farm land in the country and worked my ass off which led to not having a shortage of GI Joes.
                Understood, my cousins were that way too (farm)... worked like every day of their life, and that translated into pretty much having whatever they wanted.

Whatever that toy is in the very back, I specifically remember playing with that one.

Comment

• Jenks
                  I'm kind of a big deal.
                  • Jun 2004

Understood, my cousins were that way too (farm)... worked like every day of their life, and that translated into pretty much having whatever they wanted.

Whatever that toy is in the very back, I specifically remember playing with that one.

The Tactical Battle Platform! I think it went for around $90.

And I wouldn't trade growing on in the country for anything.

Comment

• BureOne
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

looks like an evil oil rig

Comment

• Caley Martin
                      MCast Resident DJ
                      • Oct 2004

this thread rocks. I have all my GI Joe action figures packed up somewhere. ahhhh, to be a kid again.
                      For your aural infusion of Caley:
                      http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
                      http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
                      http://ultrawizardsword.net
                      RA: Caley

Comment

• stencil_cp
                        Addiction started
                        • Aug 2005

i had the carrier! when i was done with my GI Joe/Transformers collection and had blown half of them up with firecrackers, my mom convinced me that it was a good idea to sell the lot to a local kid for $50... he totally made out like a bandit...

Comment

• tiddles
                          Encryption, Jr.
                          • Jun 2004

Fuck your carriers. I have the spaceshuttle/launching platform somewhere at my parents house.

One of my neighbors broke all the dicks off my GI Joes though, so I don't think they'd go for much...

Comment

• floridaorange
                            • Dec 2005

Comment

• Funky Dredd
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • May 2005

Great collection! I really dig the carrier. I didn't own one as a kid but I did serve 2 years on one during the first gulf war. I served on the USS America CV-66 (same number as your carrier).
                              Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

Working...