X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demonAfro
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Blu-ray

How did people stand watching movies at home before blu-ray? Not sure I could ever go back to dvd

Just sayin'
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: Blu-ray

No kidding. I'm an HD snob now. I won't even watch a show on TV if it isn't on an HD channel

Check out this experimental ultra hd format in talks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Television

Comment

• Micko
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Oct 2004

Comment

• demonAfro
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

I even get a little annoyed when the blu-ray has a bad transfer and looks no better than dvd quality.

UHDTV looks awesome. More pixels can never be a bad thing. And the sooner they start pushing super mega ultra high def, the sooner that pixel density on monitors can start going up again too.

Comment

• Shpira
          Angry Boy Child
          • Oct 2006

crazy...what teh hell are to watch that on??? I have never even seen a monitor that can support that.
          The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
          Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

7680 × 4320
            I think it'd be about 6-8 years before that comes into existence
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• mnbvcxz
              Platinum Poster
              • Feb 2006

I bought my 42" quite some time ago and it only outputs 720p. This for me is totally fine quality.

UHD? That seems a bit extreme. Will the human eye even recognise the difference?

Comment

• demonAfro
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by nikoa
                720p

Even my laptop is 15 inches of 1080p. Right now I can easily tell the difference. In a few years, maybe not so much

Comment

• mnbvcxz
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by demonAfro

Even my laptop is 15 inches of 1080p. Right now I can easily tell the difference. In a few years, maybe not so much
                  720p is still HD... it's just not full HD. In fact most HD channels will only output 720p (or 1080i). It's not THAT uncommon at all so not sure why the "Hm".

Of course you can tell the difference... I didn't say otherwise.

To be honest, I appreciate an awesome sound system more than picture quality.

Comment

• Kamal
                    Administrator
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by nikoa
                    UHD? That seems a bit extreme. Will the human eye even recognise the difference?
                    most definitely. Even at 1080p (which mind you is a resolution of 1920 x 1080) still has a certain pixel density. You can take a 300 x 300 image and blow it up to 1920 x 1080 but you'd be left behind with absolute gutter image quality. It's the same reason why standard definition 480p looks crap at 1080p. If you get something that is so high, it has to be packed with data, to be able to deliver a crisp image.

Heck even if you get 11 gig 1080p rips on the interwebz and an untouched blu-ray 37 gb iso and the difference is day and night.
                    www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                    he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                    Originally posted by ace_dl
                    Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                    I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• mnbvcxz
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
                      most definitely. Even at 1080p (which mind you is a resolution of 1920 x 1080) still has a certain pixel density. You can take a 300 x 300 image and blow it up to 1920 x 1080 but you'd be left behind with absolute gutter image quality. It's the same reason why standard definition 480p looks crap at 1080p. If you get something that is so high, it has to be packed with data, to be able to deliver a crisp image.

Heck even if you get 11 gig 1080p rips on the interwebz and an untouched blu-ray 37 gb iso and the difference is day and night.
                      I see how this can hold true for large screen sizes that aren't on the market now, but without comparing the screen size to the number of pixels discussing UHD is somewhat meaningless. I'm assuming that we're discussing standards TV sizes for this day and age (for example 50") - in which case UHD is not going to provide much benefit. Even seating distance starts to play a part when looking at the noticeable viewing difference of these ultra high resolutions.

The same reason why on my 42" TV 1080p does not provide much benefit over 720p. Although viewing the difference on a 50" you can definitely tell!

Interesting read... http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

There's no doubt 1080p is the way to go... not for a second am I saying it is not. But there are other factors involved before concluding a higher resolution (in this case better than 1080p) is going to be immediately "better".

Comment

Working...