HD 555 to HD 595 mod (or: how Sennheiser cripples cheaper headphones)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

HD 555 to HD 595 mod (or: how Sennheiser cripples cheaper headphones)

This page will show you how to turn a $199.95 (Canadian – retail) pair of Sennheiser HD 555 headphones into a pair of Sennheiser HD 595‘s that cost $349.95. And all you need is a screwdriver.

Instead of designing a completely new product to fit a certain price range, large scale manufacturing dictates that it is often cheaper to simply “cripple” an existing high-end product. This way the manufacturer can use existing molds, parts, assembly lines and training, etc. In electronic products, firmware is usually crippled to omit/hide certain features. For example, digital camera companies reserve functions (like RAW output, exposure and white balance bracketing, long exposures, etc.) for their higher priced cameras, even though their cheapest camera has the same capabilities (See the CHDK project for more info).
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: HD 555 to HD 595 mod (or: how Sennheiser cripples cheaper headphones)

Wow! My first reaction was it sucks that sennheiser do that. But I guess it improves unit sales , the people who are paying top dollar seem to be being ripped off though.!
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• ganjamo
      Platinum Poster
      • Jan 2006

I got a pair of HD570īs but cant get the freaking replacement cable shipped to Peru

Interesting stuff about companies crippling their products in order to fit other price ranges, smart business wise but a "rip off" for the costumer.
      Dont panic, its organic.

Comment

• demonAfro
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

Not sure if it applies here, but there is the whole QC argument where parts for the more expensive model pass higher specs. But then there is the argument for charging people what they are willing to pay for the same thing

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ganjamo
          I got a pair of HD570īs but cant get the freaking replacement cable shipped to Peru

Interesting stuff about companies crippling their products in order to fit other price ranges, smart business wise but a "rip off" for the costumer.
          Why not???
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• ganjamo
            Platinum Poster
            • Jan 2006

They just wont ship it here the sites that will ship it charge like 25$+ for shipping and the cable is like 8$ lol.
            Dont panic, its organic.

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

WTF, foam, that's it? That's some expensive foam.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

That thread is hilarious. Audio geeks thrashing each other like how we might debate over MP3 qualities.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                  meat and potatoes
                  • Jun 2004

my fidelity is higher than yours!!!

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                    Anyone have Styx livesets?
                    • Jun 2004

i do like my Sennheiser foam tho
                    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

I am firmly in the Grado camp now. In similar price ranges the sound quality just craps all over sennheiser . Obviously not talking about headphones for Djing because i wouldn't know that.

Comment

Working...