X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Nick Drake

I was just introduced to this guy's music the other night while listening to the Mixtapes show on Proton. For those that aren't aware, Mixtapes is on every 1st Wednesday of the month at 9pm EST and in a word it's just plain brilliant. I've NEVER been disappointed in a show. Self described as: Bringing you the best in eclecticism, Mixtapes will feature some of the best new and old music around with sounds ranging from ambient to post-rock to indie.

If you enjoy bands such as Grandaddy, Boards of Canada, M83, etc. mixed in with some ambient Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Frank Black, etc. then you will be surely blown away by the work of samacid. It's a very nice way to unwind.

So, on to Nick Drake. There was a track played by Sam on this past week's show titled "Saturday Sun" which just threw me for a loop. With a beautiful piano melody, Nick's hauntingly melancholy voice and his subtle guitar strums, it is very reminiscent of a folk-style (Jack Johnson, Damien Rice, etc.). I decided to have a listen to more of this guy's work and have fallen in love. He is (or I should say was) nothing short of brilliant.

While digging up some information, I ran across this site. The interesting thing is that this guy put out 3 studio albums in the 1960s and 70s!!! Tragically he overdosed in 1976, but I had no idea his music was that old. It very easily fits into the style played by the artists I mentioned earlier. Truely ahead of his time, or at least not appreciated until after his passing, he's beautifully soft and incorporates many different sounds. Thus far I've only listened to 'Five Leaves Left' which was released in 1969, but I will definitely be grabbing the rest of his releases.

Jib and Mr. Big, this one's definitely for you. Mr. Big may have heard of him already as Nick was from England, but if not, then give it a listen.
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.
  • wowflutter
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re: Nick Drake

Welcome to the wonderful Nick Drake, ska.

He?one of the most extraordinary musicians to have graced us...ever.
    I?ve his complete discography, plus some bootlegs, PM me if you want any futher pointers.

BTW, there?s a great retrospective box called Fruit Tree. If anything is worth grabbing, this is it.

Cheers,

wf
    "Wit is the epitaph of an emotion" - Nietzsche

Comment

• picklemonkey
      Double hoodie beer monster
      • Jun 2004

never heard of him. did you rip it or anything? I'm curious to hear what it sounds like

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
        Anyone have Styx livesets?
        • Jun 2004

He was noone when he released the albums - died young, now is respected all over. His riverman track is on loads and loads of chill complilations.

Only released 3 albums. Great stuff tho.

Alledgedly BEck took great influence from Nick for his last album (Seachange).
        ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Weizy
          MCast Resident DJ
          • Jun 2004

nick drake was an amazing musician. its very sad to think that this talented man took his own life. all of his albums are very good! check him out if you dig a man, his voive, and a guitar.

Comment

• ekm
            Getting warmed up
            • Jun 2004

Nick Drake had a bit of a resurgence back in 2000 one of his tracks, "Pink Moon", was used back in for a VW comercial. It is one of my favorite Mick Drake songs and I actually think that the comercial does it justice.

Here is a link to the comercial

Comment

• mixu
              Travel Guru Extraordinaire
              • Jun 2004

Check this Radio 2 mini-site out...
              Ask me a question...

Comment

• Pataky P
                asdf_imo
                • Jun 2004

I've never heard this man...

Comment

• TheNipper
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                  The interesting thing is that this guy put out 3 studio albums in the 1960s and 70s!!! Tragically he overdosed in 1976, but I had no idea his music was that old. It very easily fits into the style played by the artists I mentioned earlier. Truely ahead of his time, or at least not appreciated until after his passing, he's beautifully soft and incorporates many different sounds. Thus far I've only listened to 'Five Leaves Left' which was released in 1969, but I will definitely be grabbing the rest of his releases.
                  Interesting. Never thought there would be a discussion about Nick Drake in these forums.

Nick Drake was a great composer/musician. His music remains as fresh today as it did when it first came out. I thought it was wonderful back then and I still do. I would recommend that you pick up the "Fruit Tree" box if it is still available. Great stuff.

It's too bad there's not more material out there, but from what I have read, Drake was a very shy, reclusive person who frequently went through periods when he found it difficult to work. It's my understanding the he almost never performed in public. Evidently the few attempts he made were less than successful.

About the overdose bit, I thought that it was never conclusively determined whether or not it was accidental or deliberate. Evidently, he was on some medication for depression. Perhaps someone else has additional info about this.

The Mixtapes show sounds intriguing, Will have to mark my calendar and catch next month's show. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• simonr
                    Transitionator
                    • Jun 2004

If any of you like jazz there's an awesome piano player, Brad Mehldau, who plays an tremendous version of River Man ... plus some amazing Radiohead stuff.
                    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

Working...