• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

No more vinyl after 2009

Stolen from another board...

"It looks as though audiophiles may have to resign themselves to the fact that in a few years time there will be only the chance to fondly re-live the good old days of nostalgia, rather than experience the new. Vinyl, the medium that took over from Shellac, Bakelite and even earlier the wax pressing, has had its final play ? well, almost. The year 2009, looks set to be the final turn in the long standing vinyl revolution.

A June 2003 press release from The Institute of Chemical Engineering, advised that key by- products of the current petroleum refining process would no longer be generated by 2009, due to deadlines agreed, in principle, with the chemical industry back in 1992. These deadlines were however, only finalised in 1999, in the face of increasing environmental concerns and lobbying.

The IoCE went on to advise that a voluntary co-funded research and development program to seek a green alternative, possibly a polycarbonate based compound had been proposed in the 1999 summary. However no members of the industry wide syndicate had been able to substantiate a sufficiently high market demand for a replacement for the petroleum by-product, which is the primary base for vinyl record albums.

MORE..............

Whilst concluding that the news marked ?The end of an era for vinyl?, a spokesperson of music retailing giants Tower Records advised that with sales of collective vinyl products accounted for less than a third of a percent (0.28%) of their total music sales World-wide in the last accounting period. ?Hardest hit will be the few remaining traditionalist vinyl Disc Jockeys? Tower Records confirmed.

Tower replied positively when asked if this early warning would mean a silence in the thousands of DJ booths and radio stations around the world. ?For some, existing skills will need to be adapted for use with the rapidly advancing Compact Disc DJ equipment? continued Towers spokesperson., ?it promises to be a very exciting transition as older techniques are retained and used alongside the plethora of new features that CD technology already offers todays forward thinking DJ?s and turntablists?. Towers spokesperson added ?It is unlikely that we will continue to carry vinyl into 2009. We believe the needs of the DJ will be totally digital, in one medium or another, prior to the cessation date.??

Radio stations and other areas of the broadcasting community are unlikely to be affected by this early warning of environmental issues validating the need for minor lifestyle changes either,. since almost a of the music played in a modern broadcast scenario is primarily CD, or from Digital archives owned under licence by the larger radio stations."
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.
  • Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Yeah. Sure.

Watch me, when I'm buying a 5+ litre V8 American classic after 2009. And I'lll be fucked if I'm gonna give up spinning vinyl. Nuke China, and we'll have enough oil left for another 1568 years or so.

Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• skahound
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
      Yeah. Sure.

Watch me, when I'm buying a 5+ litre V8 American classic after 2009.
      Good point!

Comment

• Led
        Fresh Peossy
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by skahound
        Originally posted by Yao
        Yeah. Sure.

Good point!
        Indeed, America couldn't care less about the Kyoto-treaty or the environment whatsoever.
        I guess while other countries are trying to save the world,
        americans will be driving their 5+ litre V8 and spinning vinyl.
        Hooray for the rednecks !

Comment

• Yao
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

Dude.

I'm from the Netherlands too.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Weizy
            MCast Resident DJ
            • Jun 2004

Re: No more vinyl after 2009

so does this mean i won't be vinyl shopping in 2010?

if so then :cry: :cry: :cry:

Comment

• Yao
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

we'll start cutting records out of steel.

Never goes bad.

Comment

• esef
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

as though Tower Records is a reliable source

also, this reads like a total scam post. but, believe what you want to believe...

"so be good good for goodness sake, somebody's coming..."

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category

Comment

• skahound
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by esef
                  The era of standalone media retailers is long gone, hence the reason Tower is in financial trouble. You cannot survive in the market unless you have something to hedge against low-profit margin items such as CDs, DVDs, and Books, etc. That is the reason that companies such as Sam Goody, Musicland, etc. have introduced items such as DirecTV, portable audio devices, DVD players, and subscription-based services.

Comment

• SickBoy
                    Addiction started
                    • Jun 2004

eh, it's a scare tactic. that the whole world is in on.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

The virgin store here in columbus went under. Mostly because I believe their prices were WAY too high for a cd. Though pretty much every place has got overpriced cd's and those of us who are piriting are simply not taking their pre packaged crap anymore. Though vinyl has been since the 80s a tool for dj's and I believe it will always remain. There is nothing like feeling those tiny little grooves sinking into your fingers while you cue up a record and then let it fly.
                      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• greg pappanastos
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Led
                        Originally posted by skahound
                        Originally posted by Yao
                        Yeah. Sure.

Good point!
                        Indeed, America couldn't care less about the Kyoto-treaty or the environment whatsoever.
                        I guess while other countries are trying to save the world,
                        americans will be driving their 5+ litre V8 and spinning vinyl.
                        Hooray for the rednecks !
                        Trying to save the world? I didn't realize that the Netherlands was such a dominant force in world environmental protection. Unless, by "saving the world" you mean providing a comfortable environment for the trade of prostitution and drugs.

Comment

• luck211
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

I completely thought it was a joke including Tower Records in their article. Also, I wasnt' suprised at all that Tower Records vinyl sells have dropped, all things considered. Most of the dopest record shops out here in California, are independently owned. It's nice to see another corporation going down.. :P

Vinyl is classic... There's still a tremendous amount of money in the dance vinyl industry. I see the analogy being; America giving up oil for alternative fuel sources. It's just not going to happen, due to the high degree of investments. I honestly, think I would stop DJ'ing if vinyl were unavailable. It's just not the same...
                          <DiSCO SHiT>

Comment

• luck211
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Yao
                            we'll start cutting records out of steel.

Never goes bad.

TIGHT...
                            <DiSCO SHiT>

Comment

• supaz
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

Only the needle needs to be changed after one play though...

Comment

Working...