X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gustin
    Fresh Peossy
    • Feb 2005

downloading

Being involved in one way or another in the Dance Music Industry and meeting the artists that have strong views on the subject of downloading. One develops a curiosity as to how much material really is available on the more common P2P (Peer to Peer) networks and its only a matter of time before you find yourself with a Soulseek(for example) icon on your desktop. Over the last 15 months i've monitored 3 P2P networks for the purposes of an article shortly to be published in a major industry tabloid and I'm pleased to share the findings of my analysis with this forum firstly, to give what I'd consider the excellent news that downloading has dramatically decreased - Especially in the Dance Music genres and secondly, to ask the groups opinion of this finding before the article goes to press.
    Its my opinion based on these findings that the community that once spent most of there day downloading free material has now come to realise/witness the effects of there folly and have since chosen not to share these files so freely. Let me know your thoughts.
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

welcome to [ms]

producers are well aware of what goes on when they hand a track out. i think they (producers) are being more and more careful these days about who or where they give their tracks out.
    piracy will never die. its been going on forever in one way or another.

what tabloid should i be looking for? sounds like a good read.

Comment

• chriss8
      Fresh Peossy
      • Jul 2004

I just wish I could get every release I want as a pay for download.
      Vinyl is expensive, especially imports and most of the time I want just one mix on an ep. I hope the download service like beatport and edmdigital grow and grow because you can choose each individual mix to buy and it obviously costs alot less.

I think vinyl will more than likely be faded out over the next few years as the legal download services get better.

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

yeah, i think it will die out a little. however, there will always be the "sashas" and "digweeds" out there because the labels with integrity will sign what they feel represents them. so the quality DJ will always have the upfront things that you never hear because they are the "beta testers" . producers would be stupid to offer the stuff right off the bat because they would lose out on a lot of money.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• Weizy
          MCast Resident DJ
          • Jun 2004

Re: downloading

overall the amount of available tracks has not diminished in my humble opinion.

but, I have noticed that the time between how early I can get a track online before it is actually released has gotten very short...

let me close this by saying I download tracks that I cannot get on vinyl and if I do ever download something then I make an effort to acquire it on vinyl, however in a lot of cases the tracks that I get on mp3 online will be virtually impossible for me to get on vinyl :?

Comment

• Balanc3
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

It's pretty hardly to find tracks on SLSK until they've been in circulation a few months.

I think whats more detrimental is people buying vinyl and ripping them to mp3 and websites or ftp's hosting CDR promos public. This of course is rare.. .but becoming more common since everyone is going digital.
            JourneyDeep .into the sound

Comment

• Sinisterbeatz
              Getting warmed up
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chriss8
              I just wish I could get every release I want as a pay for download.
              Vinyl is expensive, especially imports and most of the time I want just one mix on an ep. I hope the download service like beatport and edmdigital grow and grow because you can choose each individual mix to buy and it obviously costs alot less.

I think vinyl will more than likely be faded out over the next few years as the legal download services get better.
              Jesus Votes Republican

Comment

• thezzapper
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

no way do i see the number of available downloads has having decreased in the last year, nor do i see the length in time of obtaining tracks has having shortened.

perhaps it depends on which p2p one uses. There are always release groups putting up new stuff. Come to Winmx & see for yourself... :-)
                sigpic

Comment

Working...