X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Buying an expensive car

We live in a very nice neighborhood where the houses and yards are well-tended, and new, shiny luxury cars are parked in most of the garages. I’m proud to say that in our garage are two of the least impressive cars in the neighborhood - an eight year old Pontiac and 11 year old Ford. Why do we skimp? Because doing so pays handsomely, and by handsomely I mean to the tune of $1.9 million dollars. Here’s my cost-benefit analysis.

Costs of the new car
    I compared the costs of two imaginary families. The image conscious Jones family must drive $60,000 luxury SUVs, and wouldn’t be caught dead in a model that is more than three years old. Across the street, lives the Thriftys, a family with less invested in their image and more invested in their future. They feel no pressure to keep up with the Joneses, or anyone else. They buy $24,000 Fords and keep them for ten years.

On average, each of the two Lexus SUVs cost $15,060 annually, while the Ford clocks in at $10,000 less. This leaves the Thriftys with $20,000 annually to invest. If the investments return seven percent annually, the Thriftys will have built up a $1.9 million portfolio after 30 years. Of course to get that rate, you’ve got to keep expenses and emotions out of the equation and be a rational investor.

Benefits of the new car
    You’ll get no argument from me that the Lexus SUVs are a little slice of automobile heaven. And I admit that I enjoy being a passenger in someone else’s Lexus. Getting a new car, with that new car smell, brings a certain pleasure and psychological well being. But studies show that this happiness is inevitably short-lived, even turning into anger or sadness, as soon as you notice that first ding.

The unsexy, boring truth is that the Ford gets to any destination just as fast as the Lexus. The comfort factor seems to disappear as one gets used to the ride in any car. So, for the most part, splurging on the Lexus gets you only one thing that you don’t get with the Ford - status.

Bottom line
    If you have more money than you can ever spend, then have at it with my envious blessings, and get whatever kind of car you’d like. But if you are concerned about your financial well being, skimping on a car is the single most important thing you can do to cut expenditures without giving up a single economic good since you can still go anywhere you’d like. You need only give up the psychological value of status and, if you can reframe your view of psychological value, you may be even better off there too.

My advice is to get off of the hedonic treadmill and break the chains of status-seeking. Before you know it, the Joneses will be trying to keep up with your portfolio.

Top 10 Benefits of a Millionaire’s Car
    1. You can actually be a millionaire rather than only looking like one.
    2. You won’t have to worry about getting a ding on your car - go ahead and park in that tight space.
    3. You know your friends won’t like you only for your car.
    4. You won’t be accused of being materialistic.
    5. You’ll get from point A to B just as fast as the luxury car.
    6. When you drive somewhere with your friends, they will want to take their car.
    7. If you get pulled over, the police officer won’t give you attitude because he can’t afford your car! (Okay - I’m reaching here.)
    8. When your friends make fun of it, you’ll learn which friends are snobs.
    9. You’ll demonstrate your self-image can’t be manipulated by advertising agencies.
    10. Did I mention it will make you a millionaire?

I love my Toyota Avalon

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Garrick
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Buying an expensive car

lol @ the ford-owning family... the Thriftys? clever.
    Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

Or do what I did ! Get rid of your car, use public transport,or walk, and rent the appropriate car/ van/ truck/ limo anytime you like The amazing thing about this is you find out just how infrequently you really need a vehicle. Of course I realise this isn't going to work everywhere. When it does it's great. No parking problems !!!

Btw I did a cost benefit analysis when I got rid of my vehicle . I've actually been far better off financially that I calculated, possibly because I really do only get a vehicle when I need it, and that isn't anywhere near as much as I expected!
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• demonAfro
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

Bicycles!

Comment

• Shpira
          Angry Boy Child
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by DIDI
          Or do what I did ! Get rid of your car, use public transport,or walk, and rent the appropriate car/ van/ truck/ limo anytime you like The amazing thing about this is you find out just how infrequently you really need a vehicle. Of course I realise this isn't going to work everywhere. When it does it's great. No parking problems !!!

Btw I did a cost benefit analysis when I got rid of my vehicle . I've actually been far better off financially that I calculated, possibly because I really do only get a vehicle when I need it, and that isn't anywhere near as much as I expected!
          ^^This. I use public transport or taxis. . .but then I do live in a highly urbanised environment which isn't the case with most of the US and London does have a pretty damn good public transport system.

p.s. I would hardly call buying a Lexus SUV luxury...Lexus is a shit car anyway...
          The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
          Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

I love how the cost to maintain a Ford is less than a Lexus and the cost (and the periodicity of) "repairing" a Ford has been completely removed from the equation. Yes services will cost more on the "Luxury" brands (if you're numb headed enough to get simple services for your car at an authorized Lexus dealer) but heck repair work? You'd be hard pressed to find these (Lexus/Toyota) cars break down.

Toyota Hilux has been the only car to be driven to the North Pole and let's not forget the Top Gear event where they tried to drown, burn, and drop a Toyota pick up from the roof of a detonating building and a mechanic was able to start the car with nothing but a screw driver (iirc).

I'm not a Toyota / Lexus fanatic per se (I never was) until I saw those shows. Glorious words of Clarkson where after 2 days of driving through ice fortresses in the North Pole, he was complaining about how the cold weather was killing their sound recording equipment, their cameras, their GPS equipment, their weather tracking equipment, but give the Hilux a few minutes to warm up and the diesel engine was the only thing that worked flawlessly on the round trip.

That's saying a lot for the engine (and is why I have come to appreciate Toyota as a company).
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Kat
              A pretty fn good milkshake
              • Mar 2006

♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• Shpira
                Angry Boy Child
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Kamal
                I love how the cost to maintain a Ford is less than a Lexus and the cost (and the periodicity of) "repairing" a Ford has been completely removed from the equation. Yes services will cost more on the "Luxury" brands (if you're numb headed enough to get simple services for your car at an authorized Lexus dealer) but heck repair work? You'd be hard pressed to find these (Lexus/Toyota) cars break down.

Toyota Hilux has been the only car to be driven to the North Pole and let's not forget the Top Gear event where they tried to drown, burn, and drop a Toyota pick up from the roof of a detonating building and a mechanic was able to start the car with nothing but a screw driver (iirc).

I'm not a Toyota / Lexus fanatic per se (I never was) until I saw those shows. Glorious words of Clarkson where after 2 days of driving through ice fortresses in the North Pole, he was complaining about how the cold weather was killing their sound recording equipment, their cameras, their GPS equipment, their weather tracking equipment, but give the Hilux a few minutes to warm up and the diesel engine was the only thing that worked flawlessly on the round trip.

That's saying a lot for the engine (and is why I have come to appreciate Toyota as a company).

OK...i tested toyotas, nissan, hummer mark 1 on - 40 C and guess who won?

so much for that

p.s. the nissan had a crack down the side of one of the pistons after about 3 weeks of heavy use...thankfully the manufacturer replaced the whole engine for free.
                The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Kamal
                  Administrator
                  • May 2002

when you say tested, can you specify?

ps: I don't recognize that vehicle, what is it? from the color of the vehicle and it's stance, it looks like some sort of military grade vehicle designed for some serious terrain and weather. IF that is what it is and you tried to take a corolla against it ion -40C, then I think we'll stop discussing cars here.
                  www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                  he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                  I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• bobjuice
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by DIDI
                    Get rid of your car, use public transport,or walk, and rent the appropriate car/ van/ truck/ limo anytime you like
                    ^

I'm carless now. I still own one but it's in storage. The cost of running a car is just fucking daft, If i need to, for work, i lease or rent or borrow vans but mostly i get by without.

Comment

• Shpira
                      Angry Boy Child
                      • Oct 2006

when you say tested, can you specify?

ps: I don't recognize that vehicle, what is it? from the color of the vehicle and it's stance, it looks like some sort of military grade vehicle designed for some serious terrain and weather. IF that is what it is and you tried to take a corolla against it ion -40C, then I think we'll stop discussing cars here.
                      I had a choice to pick a car to drive for my stay in Siberia...and all I wanted was god damn reliability at extreme temperatures...I played around with each car for around a week. The Toyota...was a land cruiser, the Nissan was a 2006 Nissan Patrol and Hummer was a military surplus one bought in Germany. The car on the photo is a piece of shit Lada - Niva with a 1.8 litter engine but believe you me it worked like a charm. The only thing lacking was heated seats and remote controlled ignition...which all others had.
                      The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Kamal
                        Administrator
                        • May 2002

I'd be curious to know little more about your experience (total thread hijack). Like I said, I, in no way shape or form, was ever a Toyota fan so yea I'd like to hear more. What sort of engines did they have? were they all Gas (or diesel?). I find it amazing that the land cruiser was a fail.
                        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:

Comment

• Jenks
                          I'm kind of a big deal.
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Shpira
                          ^^This. I use public transport or taxis. . .but then I do live in a highly urbanised environment which isn't the case with most of the US and London does have a pretty damn good public transport system.

Public transport just isn't an option in some cities. Even if it was a great option, i'd definitely use it more often, but i'd still have a car. I love to drive.

Comment

• Shpira
                            Angry Boy Child
                            • Oct 2006

I'd be curious to know little more about your experience (total thread hijack). Like I said, I, in no way shape or form, was ever a Toyota so yea I'd like to hear more. What sort of engines did they have? were they all Gas (or diesel?). I find it amazing that the land cruiser was a fail.

All were diesels as far as I recall... I believe both Toyota and Nissan were 3.2 or 3.5...It did well once I got it started but I have real trouble with that...you cannot conceive how cold that is so I am not really surprised .The Hummer had its Oil frozen! We left it outside for a weekend and on Monday the oil was frozen...never fucking seen anything like it. So... Toyota did do pretty well... until we had the Nissan's engine block replaced...after that the Nissan purred. . .still I think I will not be buying a Japanese SUBV anytime soon...if I had a choice out of all that I have tried...i would go for:

The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Dhar_2
                              meat and potatoes
                              • Jun 2004

take your poncy sports activity vehicle and shove it

Comment

• Working...