X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runningman
    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
    • Jun 2004

The Way to Fix MS from Becoming Old

Bring back the mandatory posts to download the promo section. Let's face it none of us back in the day would be talking to each other if we weren't forced to back in '04. I have noticed over the past year that post traffic in GYY and other threads has becoming a talking post for about 50 people. Considering we have thousands of members it doesn't seem right that we can't even get pics from WMC even anymore. Back in the day we would have had pics on day 1, 2, 3, 4, thousands of them. Reports of who was dropping what sick track and so on.

Let's face it many of us are getting old. Shit I'm 30. I was 23 when I joined and was forced to start talking to people.

I say make them talk. 100 posts to download anything in the promos and recs section. Then this place will be booming again with new members and new dialog.

Otherwise this place will just be a download section and that is it. We will be saying what a great board it was with great people, and now it is a music distribution whore.
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: The Way to Fix MS from Becoming Old

That is a horrible idea. True to form Runningman.

What will happen is we'll get less people joining, and the ones that do just for sets will post more nonsense than you do just to pad their post count. "how many posts must be have, i can download?"

Freedom is best.

The lack of message board participation is a trend compounded by the rise of facebook and other sites, this trend is not exclusive to mercuryserver. It's happening everywhere. Forcing people to participate will only alienate further.

Just like your cell mate in prison used to tell you RM, just let it happen, it'll be alright.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

i would think about leaving sooner rather than later
      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• GarryX
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jenks
        That is a horrible idea. True to form Runningman.

What will happen is we'll get less people joining, and the ones that do just for sets will post more nonsense than you do just to pad their post count. "how many posts must be have, i can download?"

Freedom is best.

The lack of message board participation is a trend compounded by the rise of facebook and other sites, this trend is not exclusive to mercuryserver. It's happening everywhere. Forcing people to participate will only alienate further.

Just like your cell mate in prison used to tell you RM, just let it happen, it'll be alright.
        Superb.

Comment

• runningman
          Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
          • Jun 2004

Ok well let's see who right then. Usually it's me but hey maybe it is a full moon tonight and maybe you will be right once. I love it when people who are always wrong agree with another guy that is always wrong.

If you build it it will come.. Well it is built and it is getting old. We need some new meat on here.

What do you propose then because the status quo isn't working. WMC was a warning shot to MS. Do you suggest we not be known as a music board where people can talk about music because that isn't happening anymore. People aren't talking/sharing at all because the board is full of old people who don't go to WMC and raves anymore. I go twice a year now if I'm lucky. But I still like to keep in touch with what DJ's are doing and so on.

What do you propose to attract new young people to this board? The board flourished when you had to post.. Now ehhhh...

Comment

• Caley Martin
            MCast Resident DJ
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by runningman
            What do you propose to attract new young people to this board?
            For your aural infusion of Caley:
            http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
            http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
            http://ultrawizardsword.net
            RA: Caley

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

as if we needed any further proof that forcing people to talk is a horrible idea and bad for the community as a whole, here's this:

I was 23 when I joined and was forced to start talking to people.
              I rest my case.

Comment

• runningman
                Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                • Jun 2004

The carrot and stick motivation has worked since the beginning of time. We have the music.. They want it.. Do you see it?

1 + 1 = 2

Just giving stuff away for free is not always the best decision. In Haiti Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations thought that if he gave a away free food it would help the situation. Turns out he was wrong.

Go to 9 mins and watch

Now that is how you rest a case.. With an example.

Comment

• Jenks
                  I'm kind of a big deal.
                  • Jun 2004

You act like these sets are exclusive to mercurysever or something. This isn't the beginning of the internet, you can find this stuff everywhere. Forcing people to post 100 times before they have access to sets they can get other places with no effort, is an example of good idea only in pea sized brains like yours. It's painful to have to constantly own you on the internet like this. New creative ideas, like the dj and label database pickle has been working on tirelessly and doing a great job is a good start. Forcing people to do anything is always an awful idea. Come up with something useful and exciting and fresh and people will gravitate towards it. What do you have that fits that model? We'll be waiting.

Comment

• Eau Rouge
                    Addiction started
                    • Apr 2009

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

as if we needed any further proof that forcing people to talk is a horrible idea and bad for the community as a whole, here's this:

I rest my case.
                      Precisely
                      Originally posted by TheVrk
                      it IS incredible isn't it??
                      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Feb 2009

Freedom is best.
                        This...

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• runningman
                          Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                          • Jun 2004

you see this is exactly what has gone wrong on this site.. A bunch of old friends ganging up on someone with an idea.

All I'm trying to do is come up with a marketing plan so MS will have many great years ahead. And all I get is negative attacks and a bunch of "yes men"

No wonder new people don't want to talk on here. Because they fear the MS Mafia that has become the cancer of the site. You aren't right until the Mafia says your right.

I gave my suggestion and you didn't Jenks. They could have gotten the sets from somewhere else back in the day but they came here because of the variety and organization of the sets, I mean look at how many sets we have loaded everyday on this site. You mean to tell me that people won't want to talk on here to get access to that? Tracklistings, Sets, Interviews.. It's all here and it[s organized. Use your brain because we have fallen a sleep at the wheel here for a bit and I fear the site may pay drastically for it.

Comment

• DIDI
                            Aussie Pest
                            • Nov 2004

you see this is exactly what has gone wrong on this site.. A bunch of old friends ganging up on someone with an idea.

All I'm trying to do is come up with a marketing plan so MS will have many great years ahead. And all I get is negative attacks and a bunch of "yes men"

No wonder new people don't want to talk on here. Because they fear the MS Mafia that has become the cancer of the site. You aren't right until the Mafia says your right.

I gave my suggestion and you didn't Jenks. They could have gotten the sets from somewhere else back in the day but they came here because of the variety and organization of the sets, I mean look at how many sets we have loaded everyday on this site. You mean to tell me that people won't want to talk on here to get access to that? Tracklistings, Sets, Interviews.. It's all here and it[s organized. Use your brain because we have fallen a sleep at the wheel here for a bit and I fear the site may pay drastically for it.
                            No !! It is likeminded people . The people who have disagreed with you here have all disagreed with each other at some time. But in this case we recognise that is is a bad idea! To call these particular people yes men is absolutely farcical

Btw I came here because this was was where Hernan chose to release metrodance., I stayed for the people.
                            Originally posted by TheVrk
                            it IS incredible isn't it??
                            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Jenks
                              I'm kind of a big deal.
                              • Jun 2004

Because they fear the MS Mafia that has become the cancer of the site. You aren't right until the Mafia says your right.

I gave my suggestion and you didn't Jenks.
                              lol @ WE all the ones who are a cancer to the site. That's rich, guy.

I think the site is fine. It ebbs and flows, it is what it is. I gave you the reason above why MS isn't as jumping like it was in 2002, but as usual you can't comprehend that, instead it's "whoa is me, you guys are after me." Man, you're so predictable.

You're right about one thing tho, you gave your suggestion and I didn't. I don't have a good suggestion to increase traffic and participation, the difference is, I don't have a shitty suggestion either.

Comment

Working...