X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runningman
    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
    • Jun 2004

Re: The Way to Fix MS from Becoming Old

How can you say the site is fine? The biggest music event in the world just happened and nobody reported on it. 3 pages in the WMC thread. People in China think their country is fine but doesn't mean it can't be better Jenks.

Didi just because you have disagreed with someone before doesn't mean you arent part of the problem. I can tell you from people who have spoken to me in private don't like the direction of the cliques on here. There is a gang and you are either in it or out of it. And that scares a lot of people.

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by runningman
      How can you say the site is fine? The biggest music event in the world just happened and nobody reported on it. 3 pages in the WMC thread. People in China think their country is fine but doesn't mean it can't be better Jenks.
      WMC isn't the big fucking be all it used to be. It's tired, much like your act.

Didi just because you have disagreed with someone before doesn't mean you arent part of the problem. I can tell you from people who have spoken to me in private don't like the direction of the cliques on here. There is a gang and you are either in it or out of it. And that scares a lot of people.
      if you don't like it, you can leave anytime, guy, because we're free like that. come or go. since you think everyone is always out to get you, why do you stick around?

Comment

• runningman
        Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
        • Jun 2004

Hey just trying to give some constructive criticism.

I know it is hard to swallow sometimes.

Comment

• Caley Martin
          MCast Resident DJ
          • Oct 2004

I know it is hard to swallow sometimes.
          For your aural infusion of Caley:
          http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
          http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
          http://ultrawizardsword.net
          RA: Caley

Comment

• picklemonkey
            Double hoodie beer monster
            • Jun 2004

What do you propose to attract new young people to this board?
            Are you serious? Look at the DJ Database instead of only bashing people about politics and you'd see that many of us, myself included, have put in hundreds of hours to make this place something more. If you want to help, help me generate new ideas for the DJ Database or submit new artists

We get ~40 registrations per day. This would have been unheard of two-three years ago

Comment

• floridaorange
              I'm merely a humble butler
              • Dec 2005

The carrot and stick motivation has worked since the beginning of time. We have the music.. They want it.. Do you see it?

1 + 1 = 2

Just giving stuff away for free is not always the best decision. In Haiti Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations thought that if he gave a away free food it would help the situation. Turns out he was wrong.

Go to 9 mins and watch

Now that is how you rest a case.. With an example.

And this ladies and gents is the only reason this thread was started. Lame move even for RM.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• floridaorange
                I'm merely a humble butler
                • Dec 2005

Pickle why haven't you locked this trainwreck?

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Haziel
                  Likes a finger upthere
                  • Jan 2007

In all honesty a lot of other Music message boards have gone down when it comes to posting traffic.

I Blame Facebook .

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

I'll post plenty of pics when I go to Ibiza this summer. I didn't go to the WMC this year cause of the big fuck up with the dates.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                      meat and potatoes
                      • Jun 2004

i blame the friends of Mark Zuckerberg

Comment

• TomTom
                        Paging Doctor Weeds...we have a shortage on 1st St.
                        • May 2002

[...]I was 23 when I joined and was forced to start talking to people. I say make them talk. 100 posts to download anything in the promos and recs section. Then this place will be booming again with new members and new dialog.
                        I understand where you are coming from but this is very unlikely to happen in my opinion. So far this Year, we had the highest registration numbers ever but the amount of registrations hasn't much to do with the amount of participation (sadly). I know that over 90% of the people come here to get their free music in p + r and besides saying Thanks from time to time or to ask for more mixes or track names, they are not interested in much more. And I don't blame them for it. Everything has become so much quicker thanks to Highspeed Broadband flat rates, Facebook, Twitter and Blogs etc. Quick comments, mood updates and social Games are the actual trend and forum usage has decreased a lot. It's a general social development and also noticable on [ms]. I think with the vast amount of information you can get on the Internet these days, the individuals are just less proactive because they already have a hard time to consume the boat load of new information and content that is waiting for them each day on the Web.

Returning to your suggestion, yes we could need more proactive members but posting limits are not the answer. If they would be, we would have a hell of a lot more proactive users by now thanks to our post count restrictions in the past. But we don't. "Thanks the many links" a hundred times per day was the result from post count limits like Jenks has already mentioned.

The WMC abscence on [ms] in 2011 you mentioned is also a good example. In the last Years, I always got PM's or saw threads from people asking to make a subforum for it and saw numerous threads about it in advance and even more during the conference. This year (and also last year partially), interest was quite low - both from people who planned to make a photo documentation and members who asked for information.

I would for example love to see more contributions like the articles that Simon is writing for Mercuryserver. We have a full blogging/article system on Mercuryserver since the last Upgrade and a front page that screams for more and Mercuryserver exclusive articles related to EDM or whatever. Self made content creates more reactions (comments) so it is all up to the people on Mercuryserver. We can provide the platform and make offerings but we need members who are willing to spend the time to create interesting content. Forcing them into something doesn't help here..everything must come at free will and from the heart.

Comment

• clintlove
                          Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                          • Jun 2004

^^^ well said sir

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• bobjuice
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by Haziel
                            In all honesty a lot of other Music message boards have gone down when it comes to posting traffic.

I Blame Facebook .
                            ^^

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

You know what's getting old and tiring? All these bickering across the forums. RM isn't being offensive and even if it's a misguided attempt at rejuvenating the board, there's no need for the attitudes. Same in the Japan Earthquake thread. And in a separate thread about Sasha in GYY, more bickering. And in the Sasha sub-forum, more bickering. And in the P&R forum, Bloodstream constantly giving shit to people who happen to repost a set he's already posted. I don't even step into Politics but I'm sure it's a shitstorm in there. The only 'safe' forum is Computers!

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Everyone just chill and step back and listen to some fucking music and remember why we come here.

Cos the way this board is going through some convulsive comedown meltdown or midlife crisis, the newbies won't stay even if they come! We're turning into GU!

On a side note, ever since we stopped hosting the Kiss sets as downloads, and the weekly Transition threads are in the sub-forum, there's been a huge drop in discussion over the sets. Also a huge drop in discussing music and sets in general (in P&R or in GYY).

Actually the recent discussion on Tommy Four Seven was great, felt like the old ms again—less negativity, all music.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• bobjuice
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by feather
                                RM isn't being offensive and even if it's a misguided attempt at rejuvenating the board, there's no need for the attitudes.
                                Agree. RM has a point i think, for sure. His solution may or may not be the best one but, as per, people are quick to shoot him down rather than suggest something else themselves or admit his point is valid.

Comment

Working...