X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

Guti - Patio De Juegos

So Guti's first artist album is here, and I think it's great. It has a housey, bumpy, latin feel to it. A great springtime release

I'm excited to see him at DEMF this year!

From Resident Advisor:
    Guti will release his first album this March on Desolat, entitled Patio de Juegos, Spanish for "playground."

Since he made his recording debut back in 2007, Guti's wasted little time in building an international profile for himself. Hailing from Argentina, he started out on the Buenos Aires label Unlock Recordings, and within a few years had landed releases on Wolf + Lamb, Crosstown Rebels and most recently Supplemental Facts, not to mention Desolat, who gave Guti one of his first big breaks by releasing his Las Cosas Que No Se Tocan EP. Musically, Guti wears his jazz and blues influences on his sleeve, which makes him a perfect fit for the organic tech house label.

Patio de Juegos features all new productions from Guti, plus collaborations with Guy Gerber, Grünbox, Ryan Crosson and Anthea Marie Nzekwu (or Anthea, as she's commonly known). Grammy nominated tango artist Daniel Melingo also makes an appearance. The album will be released on CD, with a shorter version available on double-vinyl.

Tracklist
    01. Una Tarde Con Pedro
    02. Patio de Juegos
    03. My Whole Thing feat. Anthea Marie Nzekwu
    04. We Shall Overcome feat. Guy Gerber
    05. No Promises feat. Ryan Crosson
    06. Miraloo feat. Grünbox
    07. Lucio el Anarquista feat. Daniel Melingo
    08. Shame
    09. Ohsu
    10. Wanna Be
    11. Sun
    12. All the Girls
    13. Still Here
    14. Al Viento
    15. Como No Fuimos feat. Fosky (Digital Bonus)

Ryan Crosson, Guy Gerber and Anthea guest on the Argentinian artist's first full-length.
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Guti - Patio De Juegos

yeah adam, it's a really great album, very impressed with it all the way through.

*i used one of the tracks of the album in the mix in my sig. blatant listen to my set post.

Comment

• Haziel
      Likes a finger upthere
      • Jan 2007

its ok ... to me its filler techno ... couple tunes here and there that could be considered ok. but nothing to be too excited about .

A track that I really like from guti is the remix he did for Glimpse - things to do in denver ...... its yummy

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

^i think it's filler as you're describing it if you're just playing it alone. it's a really solid album to dj with, taking pieces and parts as tools, which is how i use it. nice funky basslines to use as bottoms and play quirky noise over the top. i hardly ever play it by itself.

Comment

• Haziel
          Likes a finger upthere
          • Jan 2007

I guess if I had to choose a track that stands out in that album it would be this one ... but seriously this sound has been around for more than 3 years now .

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Haziel
            but seriously this sound has been around for more than 3 years now .
            a lot of sounds have been around for a long time, it's what you do with it that makes the difference. i just don't listen to music the same way I used to when I was just buying loads of vinyl every week. technology allows me to do so much more these days. what i probably wouldn't even give consideration to 10 years ago, i'll hear something interesting today and take it and use a piece of it to make something else, which has really changed how i listen to music, from a djing perspective.

i know this is guti's artist album, but it reads more like a tools set to me. this isn't carl finlow's electrology, or lusine's a certain distance or what have you, albums that stand by themselves alone. i think that's where it might get lost on a lot of people just hitting play and listening to it, and i get that.

Comment

• Haziel
              Likes a finger upthere
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Jenks
              ^i think it's filler as you're describing it if you're just playing it alone. it's a really solid album to dj with, taking pieces and parts as tools, which is how i use it. nice funky basslines to use as bottoms and play quirky noise over the top. i hardly ever play it by itself.

My take on using tools is... if you are going to constantly be looking for tools to make your set "better" then that pretty much means that the track/music you are playing is not that good to begin with .

U should look for more interesting tracks

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

no.

djing to me has always been about blending things together. some of the best moments in djing i've ever heard on the dancefloor or behind the dj booth have been when two records are in transition, playing together. two parts making one.

i think if you don't understand the concept of loops and simple bits like tools, you don't really understand (or fair enough- don't really care) how techno works, because that's exactly what it has embodied from the beginning. that's why there are crates and crates of locked grooves. use loops. create yourself. you don't need a single record to move anything for you, use multiple to do it on your own.

that said, there are a ton of records, more often than not, that just need to be played...leave it alone...it's awesome by itself. but that doesn't discount every other solid single groove out there that's waiting to break somebody's legs.

Comment

• Haziel
                  Likes a finger upthere
                  • Jan 2007

With that concept my friend you are basically pushing djing into a LIVE set.

Btw I do loop during my sets ...I use Traktor / Serato.

Comment

• Caley Martin
                    MCast Resident DJ
                    • Oct 2004

I like to fart on a mic over a loop of Spastik, then drop Deadmau5. I'm so fucking l33t.
                    For your aural infusion of Caley:
                    http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
                    http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
                    http://ultrawizardsword.net
                    RA: Caley

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                      no.

djing to me has always been about blending things together. some of the best moments in djing i've ever heard on the dancefloor or behind the dj booth have been when two records are in transition, playing together. two parts making one.

i think if you don't understand the concept of loops and simple bits like tools, you don't really understand (or fair enough- don't really care) how techno works, because that's exactly what it has embodied from the beginning. that's why there are crates and crates of locked grooves. use loops. create yourself. you don't need a single record to move anything for you, use multiple to do it on your own.

that said, there are a ton of records, more often than not, that just need to be played...leave it alone...it's awesome by itself. but that doesn't discount every other solid single groove out there that's waiting to break somebody's legs.
                      Really interesting posts. Thank you !!
                      Originally posted by TheVrk
                      it IS incredible isn't it??
                      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Haziel
                        Likes a finger upthere
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by DIDI
                        < Filler post >

Comment

• Caley Martin
                          MCast Resident DJ
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Haziel

Comment

• Caley Martin
                            MCast Resident DJ
                            • Oct 2004

In all seriousness though, I can see both sides of the conversation here... I think what it really comes down to is how tastefully you can execute the inclusion of samples/loops. Too much of trickery and layering really detracts/distracts from the music overall... far too often nowadays I hear DJs trying to be "creative," however, they end up sounding either really jagged or played out.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                              Double hoodie beer monster
                              • Jun 2004

I like it as an artist album too. Maybe I'm easily pleased

Comment

Working...