• Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

John Digweed - Kiss 100 Classics : Show 002

Continuing the series of articles on the Kiss100 shows, here's 002 :

John Digweed Kiss100 : Show 002

01. Lexicon Avenue - Midnight On West 27th Street (Dub Mix) [Forensic Records | for-011]
    02. Freak Project - Beat Of A Drum (Steve Lawler's Deep South Remix) [Soul Brother | sobro010]
    03. Raffen - Understone [V2music France | VVR5016247]
    04. Souldoubt - Where Now? (Plastic Electric EP) [Special Needs Recordings | NEEDS002]
    05. Velvet Girl - Walking In Sunshine (Cass & Slide Remix) [Additive | 12AD060]
    06. Andreas Kauffelt - Bitcrusher [Aural Satisfaction Germany | ASR019]
    07. Way Out West - The Fall (Bedrock Vocal Mix) [Way Out West | WOW005]
    08. Groova - Unselfconscious (Remix By Luzon) [Musicnow Records | MNR031]

Show 002 : Timeline

This one was aired on 08 September 2000 just after DJ Remy's appearance at Bedrock, and includes a few exclusives including John & Nick Muir's remix of The Fall plus a storming close with Unselfconscious.

Show 002 : The producers, labels and the music

01. Lexicon Avenue - Midnight On West 27th Street [Forensic Records | for-011]
    Released: 2000 (exact date unknown) Written By: Chris Scott , Mark Armstrong , Scott Bradford

Lexicon Avenue is the electronic music group hailing from Newcastle upon Tyne, with releases for Saw Recordings and Yoshitoshi as well as suppliers of later guest mixes on John's show. Chris Scott is also part of Echomen (Whose 'Orient' will feature on Show 004) as well as running the night Shindig with Scott Bradford, who has also forged a solid reputation as a DJ. Named after the location of the legendary Twilo while it was at its peak and John & Sasha's residency causing a road-block 'Midnight On West 27th Street' also featured on CD2 of Danny Howells Nubreed for Global Underground.

02. Freak Project - Beat Of A Drum (Steve Lawler's Deep South Remix) [Soul Brother | sobro007]
    Released: 2000 (exact date unknown) Written By: The Freak Project at Delerium Vocal sample by Sugarglove

Next its the tribal sounds of 'Beat Of A Drum' which had already had the Peace Division treatment [sobro010] - this one is remixed by Steve Lawler who was holding down his (now legendary) Home residency on the Space Terrace as well as playing the likes of Twilo. Steve's sound had a Tribal vs Progressive feel that realy comes through in the remix. Steve also provided Bedrock's 8th release with 'Rise In' which also spawned some great remixes.

Released: 2000 (exact date unknown) Written By: Benoit Raffenne

Raffen is one half of Raff'n'Freddy whose 'Listen' has become classic for Diggers, being used to open the 1999 Twilo inspired Essential Mix, Bedrock mix comp and proceedings at the Bedrock 10th Birthday celebrations. Raff'n'Freddy's iconic 'Deep Progress' sets the scene for GU 013 Ibiza. Raffen still releases music intermittently although this is more song than EDM based.

04. Souldoubt - Where Now? [Special Needs Recordings | NEEDS002]
    Released: 28 Jul 2000 Written By: Alex J. Dean

Although Souldoubt just had the one track appearing on Kiss 100 / Transitions he continued to release tracks for Freaked, Viva! (Seattle), Houseplant & Seamless Recordings. The Swedish based Special Needs imprint later put out releases from the likes of Harrison Crump, Pop Out And Play, HÂkan Lidbo and Jesper Dahlbäck.

05. Velvet Girl - Walking In Sunshine (Cass & Slide Remix) [Additive | 12AD060]
    Released: 2000 (exact date unknown) Written By: Laurent Christian Georges VÈronnez

Velvet Girl (aka Laurent VÈronnez, Cosmic Junkie, Airwave and part of Planisphere, whose 'Deep Blue Dream' was on Seaman's GU 012 Bueson Aires) also gave us the classic Oakey 1999 anthem 'Summertime'. 'Walking In Sunshine' had an extended batch of releases and remixes for progressive trance labels Bonzai UK and Green Martian who provided anotehr great Paul Oakenfold staple in Red Sign - Wonderland.

Here the trance is toned down as Cass'n'Slide their own take on proceedings. Cass Cutbush & Pete Martin are the British production/remix duo famous for their brooding progressive trance anthems, expert remixes and DJ Sets (incl. a 2001 Essential Mix and guest mixes for John's show). The duo met in 1999 while they both were working at the London based Flying Rhino Records. They released "Diablo" on Flying Rhino before relocating to the Cass (and fellow Englishmen Lee Burridge) owned Fire records. The duo were given world-wide exposure when the Evolution remix of "Diablo" appeared on John Digweed's Hong Kong Global Underground mix CD, and their massive trance anthem "Perception" was featured on Sasha's Ibiza Global Underground mix CD. The duo's remix skills were also gaining notoriety with an increasing amount of their reworks appearing on various DJ mix CDs, the most popular being their superb remix of Astral Projection's "Liquid Sun".

The duo released a full-length album in 2002, which turned out to be a departure from their usual sound with a larger focus on the breaks and down-tempo sounds of the electronic music spectrum. The CD received mixed reviews, and Cass & Slide's production/remix out-put halted when Cass' Fire label folded in early 2003. The duo has remained largely inactive since.

06. Andreas Kauffelt - Bitcrusher (Solarcycling EP) [Aural Satisfaction Germany | ASR019]
    Released: 2000 (exact date unknown) Written By: Andreas Kauffelt

Andreas Kauffelt runs vinyl mastering company 'Schnittstelle' and has put out some hard edged techno tracks like Bassquake and more minimal industrial tracks like Kookaburra (which Gabriel Ananda remixed). Still going strong his infectious 'Every Morning' was picked up by Cocoon [COR LP 011] and Heckmann & Kauffelt - Sommersause [Karton Schallplatten | Karton01] was played on Transitions 08-Jul-2007. More recently he's worked with Japan Techno Ambassador Toby Izui with tech releases on the likes of Karton Schallplatten.

07. Way Out West - The Fall (Bedrock Vocal Mix) [Way Out West | WOW005]
    Released: 2000 (exact date unknown) Written By: Nick Warren and Jody Wisternoff

Progressive house production duo from Bristol (England) of Nick Warren and Jody Wisternoff has been responsible for some of the biggest classics in the progressive house scene, including their early club hits "Ajare" and "The Gift". Almost immediately they were signed to Deconstruction, home at the time of Sasha, M-People and other notable dance acts. After the success of their first self-titled album, the two began building their extensive remixography with reworkings for Faithless, Inner City, Sunscreem, Art of Noise and more. The 2000-single "The Fall" signalled the coming of new studio material, which culminated in the release of the full-length "Intensify" on Distinct'ive Breaks Records in 2001. The "Don't Look Now" album followed in 2004. In 2008, they released the single "Spaceman" on [Invalid Artist] and their 4th studio album "We Love Machine" in September, 2009.

John Digweed and Nick Muir (production duo Bedrock) provided Vocal and Instrumental remixes. A huge track at the time, Bedrock's remix featured on GU 019 and Kiss 100 live sets such as Club Complex Code.

08. Groova - Unselfconscious (Remix By Luzon) [Musicnow Records | MNR031]
    Released: 12 Mar 2001 Written By: Stacy Burket

The remixer of this track Luzon is an alias of Stacy Burket. Luzon was one of the Yoshitoshi stable, releasing classics 'The Baguio Track' (which had a Bedrock remix and featured on GU 014 Hong Kong) and 'Manila Sunrise'.

Show 002 : Guest Mix from Deep Dish

Deep Dish Live at Bedrock : 03-August-2000 part 2

01. Autokat - Gimme the Beat (Autokat's Marooned Mix) [Yoshitoshi Recordings | YR065]
    02. Night On Earth feat. Paul Brtschitsch and André Galluzzi - Fernlicht [Ongaku Musik | ONGAKU 021]
    03. Audiomontage - Fly Baby (Tom Middleton's Cosmos Remix) [Freerange Records | FR014]
    04. PQM featuring Cica - The Flying Song (Markus Schulz Renaissance Remix) [Renaissance | RENX004]
    05. Weekend World - Outsider [Yoshitoshi Recordings | YR064]
    06. Orinoko - Island (Alt. Mix) [Positiva | 12TIVDJD-165]
    07. Weekend World - Sessions 2 (Sacred Sessions EP) [Tide NS | TIDENS 004-6]
    08. Oko Tek - Luminous (Original mix) [Bedrock Bedrock Records | Bed 20]

Deep Dish Bio

Deep Dish are the duo of Dubfire and Sharam. Originally from Iran, they took root in the Washington, DC area in the early 90's and established themselves as top-flight producers and DJ's, releasing several mix-cds (most notably "Penetrate Deeper") and building production credits on Tribal Records and their own Deep Dish Recordings.

They had successful collaborations with BT and Carl Craig, and several of their remixes were instant classics, including their remixes of "Hideaway" by De'Lacy, and Sandy B's "Make The World Go 'Round". Their "Yoshiesque" and "Global Underground: Moscow" mix-cds brought them massive acclaim around the turn of the century. They run the popular house label Yoshitoshi Recordings, as well as its sister labels Shinichi and Yo!.

More lately they have branched out on their own with Dubfire now running SCI + TEC Digital Audio.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Re: John Digweed - Kiss 100 Classics : Show 002

The files can be found here : http://www.mercuryserver.com/forums/...2000-September
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• i!!ustrious
      I got some N64 Games Yo!!
      • Mar 2008

simon, i appreciate your diligence. thanks!
      (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• AntonyM
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Oct 2004

Massive, well thought out, looking forward to dusting off these shows and transporting back to 2000. Appreciate the effort, hope to see this series continue.
        Originally posted by Shpira
        So came back last night...
        Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
        Originally posted by Illuminate
        Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
        2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
        3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
        4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

He looks so young and sweet.
          Originally posted by TheVrk
          it IS incredible isn't it??
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• mnbvcxz
            Platinum Poster
            • Feb 2006

Nice one simon.

Comment

• Illuminate
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Aug 2009

This use to be on repeat, in our house. Simon once again a big thank you.

The One contains the Many, and the Many contains the One:
              Sbando
              - You Will Be Missed.

"Mankind has the propensity to fuck itself up on anything it lays its hands on."
              Feather

"Who moderates this forum and makes these decisions? Stevie Wonder?"
              Bob
              "i'd give her a muscle she doesn't have "
              the banned1

"I love you Illuminate... that's divine/creator/God in me loving the origin of you."
              KiwiTollway

Comment

• res0nat0r
                Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                • May 2006

Awesome write up! This brings me back to when I first scoured that thing called The Napster in college to find these. Sweet.

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

THANK YOU Soooo Much!!!!!
                  I still have 2 of these...

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

^I picked up that one, the Freak Project, and the WOW tune on 12" back in the day. Great tunes still sitting next to me here...

Comment

• POLTERGEIST
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Apr 2009

Wow!! Wish such deep sounds were streamed nowadays!!!
                      Welcome to the unreal world

Comment

Working...