What does everyone think of online dating?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fumanchu182
    Angantyr The Ruthless
    • Jun 2004

What does everyone think of online dating?

[Disclaimer, I am the lead software engineer of http://www.get2know.me]

So for the past year I have been developing software for an online dating startup. I myself don't use match.com, eharmony.com or plentyoffish.com so it was quite interesting to see how data is related and how people perform searches.

I am still not a believer in the online dating scene, as I don't use it myself (haha fucking funny right considering I built a website that does just that). but yeah to reiterate, what does everyone think of online dating?
    The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.
  • Shpira
    Angry Boy Child
    • Oct 2006

Re: What does everyone think of online dating?

pointless...
    The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• thebanned1
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • May 2009

its just like every other type of interaction between people online...u can never really tell what someone is like untill u actually meet them in person
      How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• Shpira
        Angry Boy Child
        • Oct 2006

^^This...I want to be able to see the girl...her smile...and her reactions to everything I say....art of seduction doesn't work via keyboard.
        The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
        Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• fumanchu182
          Angantyr The Ruthless
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Shpira
          ^^This...I want to be able to see the girl...her smile...and her reactions to everything I say....art of seduction doesn't work via keyboard.
          That's the problem that i have with it. It takes out the interpersonal aspect of it.
          The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.

Comment

• thebanned1
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Shpira
            art of seduction doesn't work via keyboard.
            actually m8 i think ur wrong, i think the exact opposite, it works far too easy and a shitload of people fall for a false online personally and are actually disappointed when it gets to the next stage

Comment

• fumanchu182
              Angantyr The Ruthless
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thebanned1
              actually m8 i think ur wrong, i think the exact opposite, it works far too easy and a shitload of people fall for a false online personally and are actually disappointed when it gets to the next stage
              I read a quote once that if it wasn't for craig's list casual encounters some people wouldn't ever get laid... I mean if someone lies, obviously they are not trust worthy, or are they desperate?

Comment

• tiddles
                Encryption, Jr.
                • Jun 2004

how is get2know monetized? are you selling ad space on the backend? I'm too lazy to make an account.

good luck with it though! I hope you're not deal with the massive headache of getting the initial userbase.

Comment

• thebanned1
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by fumanchu182
                  I read a quote once that if it wasn't for craig's list casual encounters some people wouldn't ever get laid... I mean if someone lies, obviously they are not trust worthy, or are they desperate?
                  thing is though m8 there is a HUGE difference in going out to get laid casually and actually finding someone who u could settle down with

Comment

• nick007
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Oct 2007

its a bunch of balls

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• Squish
                      Fresh Peossy
                      • Mar 2010

Like everything, you get out of it what you put into it. Online dating sites are a nice way to make an introduction, exchange some interests, then plan a meeting/date and go from there, just like you would if you met someone in a park, a bar, or any other social setting.

Comment

• fumanchu182
                        Angantyr The Ruthless
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
                        how is get2know monetized? are you selling ad space on the backend? I'm too lazy to make an account.

good luck with it though! I hope you're not deal with the massive headache of getting the initial userbase.
                        That is my headache right now, yes it is. But in due time. I would rather get the database through real sign ups than stealing peoples information.

Comment

• floridaorange
                          I'm merely a humble butler
                          • Dec 2005

Just make sure to ask for a full body shot (CURRENT).

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• thebanned1
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • May 2009

heres an idea for your site... why dont u make a part of the site dedicated to "webcam chat" i dont know how it would fair financially for the owners but it could make ur site a bit unique and also draw more costumers to the site

Comment

• thebanned1
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • May 2009

its poss already been done ( i,m not exactly clued up on net dating myself )

Comment

Working...