• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kat
    A pretty fn good milkshake
    • Mar 2006

Not promoting drugs here...

... just an interesting read.

Two new scientific studies reveal hallucinogens are good for your mental health

Annalee Newitz — LSD and ketamine, two powerful hallucinogens, are also potential cures for depression, OCD, and anxiety. Two studies published this week, in Science and Nature, confirm that hallucinogenic drugs stimulate healthy brain activity, even promoting the growth of neurons.
    Ketamine and depression
    The study in Science, released today, focused entirely on the drug ketamine. Used frequently as an animal sedative, ketamine can also be used to sedate humans and is also taken recreationally because of its hallucinogenic and euphoric effects. Molecular psychiatrist Nanxin Li and colleagues dosed rats with modest amounts of ketamine, and observed that the drug boosted signaling between neurons in the brain, and even led to healthy growth of synapses. (Chronic depression can be linked to inhibited synaptic growth.) Ultimately, they concluded that ketamine might be useful in treating depression because it increases brain activity instantly - so there is no need to wait weeks or months for the drug to take effect.

[click to embiggen]
    LSD and OCD
    In the journal Nature Reviews Neuroscience, Franz X. Vollenweider and Michael Kometer gave a broad overview of research into hallucinogens over the past half century. They gathered together research from hundreds of studies on how hallucinogens like LSD, psilocybin, and ketamine affect the brains of healthy people - as well as people suffering from depression and other disorders.
    Like Li and his colleagues, they found that countless studies show that hallucinogens promote healthy neural activity in the brain. The researchers also created a chart to show what test subjects' states of mind are, according to studies, when under the influence of various substances.
    [click to embiggen]
    Vollenweider and Kometer explain the diagram above:
    "Quantifying altered states of consciousness was problematic in the early years of hallucinogen research. Today, however, there are validated instruments for assessing various aspects of consciousness. According to Dittrich, hallucinogen-induced altered states of consciousness can be reliably measured by the five-dimensional altered states of consciousness (5DASC) rating scale. This scale comprises five primary dimensions and their respective subdimensions (see the figure). The primary dimensions are ‘oceanic boundlessness' (shown by orange boxes), referring to positively experienced loss of ego boundaries that are associated with changes in the sense of time and emotions - ranging from heightened mood to sublime happiness and feelings of unity with the environment; ‘anxious ego-disintegration' (shown by purple boxes), including thought disorder and loss of self-control; ‘visionary restructuralization' (shown by blue boxes), referring to perceptual alterations (such as visual illusions and hallucinations), and altered meaning of percepts; acoustic alterations (not shown), including hypersensitivity to sound and auditory hallucinations; and altered vigilance (not shown)."
    Some of these states of mind, such as "boundlessness," are directly linked to increased neural activity in fMRI studies. They conclude:
    "The clinical findings and current understanding of the mechanisms of action of classical hallucinogens and dissociative anaesthetics converge on the idea that psychedelics might be useful in the treatment of major depression, anxiety disorders and OCD."
    Looks like it's time to give hallucinogens a second chance as medicine.
    Read the full scientific papers via Science and Nature Reviews Neuroscience
    http://io9.com/5617273/two-new-scien...-mental-health
    ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

• DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: Not promoting drugs here...

The "recreational" drug that has been shown in trials to be the most beneficial and the least harmful is mdma
    Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• thebanned1
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • May 2009

both have been used in the past in therapy

How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• thebanned1
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • May 2009

cant see this is being hailed as a great success in the insomnia world though
        How to Check the True Bitrate of Your Audio Files - Make Tech Easier

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
          Anyone have Styx livesets?
          • Jun 2004

ketamine in rats doesn't translate well to ketamine and humans - even if it was published in Science

also the nature reviews is an opinion piece and doesn't add anything new - its not a study in itself;

can you imagine lying down in a fMRI scanner during a trip! fck that;
          (so i've been told by others.....)
          ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

I thought I just read something on boing boing or io9 saying we hallucinate because parts of our brains are deprived of oxygen

(K is the only thing that makes me feel like I'm burning holes in my brain, I never touch that again)

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Caley Martin
              MCast Resident DJ
              • Oct 2004

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm k
              For your aural infusion of Caley:
              http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
              http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
              http://ultrawizardsword.net
              RA: Caley

Comment

• Haziel
                Likes a finger upthere
                • Jan 2007

^^^^ K-lee.... is that how you pronounce your name?

Comment

• Caley Martin
                  MCast Resident DJ
                  • Oct 2004

it is actually, I am glad you brought that up, it's important to know!
                  For your aural infusion of Caley:
                  http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
                  http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
                  http://ultrawizardsword.net
                  RA: Caley

Comment

• Kat
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DIDI
                    The "recreational" drug that has been shown in trials to be the most beneficial and the least harmful is mdma
                    i've heard quite the opposite actually, permanently damaged serotonin production, cant imagine anything worse

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• Kat
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Haziel
                      ^^^^ K-lee.... is that how you pronounce your name?
                      Originally posted by Caley Martin
                      i'll just call you martin then

Comment

• Kat
                        • Mar 2006

true
                        then it was denied also

i would agree on expanded awareness tho, extremely expanded, fun too

Comment

• Haziel
                          Likes a finger upthere
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Caley Martin

Proper

Comment

• Shpira
                            Angry Boy Child
                            • Oct 2006

a couple of shrooms a year...make sure you're not a dull bastard.
                            The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                            Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• DIDI
                              Aussie Pest
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kat
                              i've heard quite the opposite actually, permanently damaged serotonin production, cant imagine anything worse
                              They would have been old studies, in fact that sounds like the Ricaurte study which was well and truly discounted. It's actually being trialed as a treatment for PTSD http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/725596, http://www.maps.org/research/mdma/
                              Originally posted by TheVrk
                              it IS incredible isn't it??
                              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

Working...