If you enjoy bands such as Grandaddy, Boards of Canada, M83, etc. mixed in with some ambient Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Frank Black, etc. then you will be surely blown away by the work of samacid. It's a very nice way to unwind.
So, on to Nick Drake. There was a track played by Sam on this past week's show titled "Saturday Sun" which just threw me for a loop. With a beautiful piano melody, Nick's hauntingly melancholy voice and his subtle guitar strums, it is very reminiscent of a folk-style (Jack Johnson, Damien Rice, etc.). I decided to have a listen to more of this guy's work and have fallen in love. He is (or I should say was) nothing short of brilliant.
While digging up some information, I ran across this site. The interesting thing is that this guy put out 3 studio albums in the 1960s and 70s!!! Tragically he overdosed in 1976, but I had no idea his music was that old. It very easily fits into the style played by the artists I mentioned earlier. Truely ahead of his time, or at least not appreciated until after his passing, he's beautifully soft and incorporates many different sounds. Thus far I've only listened to 'Five Leaves Left' which was released in 1969, but I will definitely be grabbing the rest of his releases.
Jib and Mr. Big, this one's definitely for you. Mr. Big may have heard of him already as Nick was from England, but if not, then give it a listen.


Comment