If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
& not flippin on the side.. like a job in your chosen field, above the table, payin your own taxes type of gig?
i may have an opportunity to break away from the corporate monster & do my own thing. work from home on my own time, build contacts, do my work on my time, etc.
question is, was it difficult getting things registered & off the ground. getting lawyers & or cpa's to figure out when/where & how you pay the big man (taxes) & all the other non exciting legal mumbo jumbo. along with what & how much you can claim as a business expense on taxes & such.
Probabaly different in the US, but so long as your resonablly inteligent and do your research and keep on top of your paperwork then it's cool. you can claim tax relief on all sorts of different things :wink:
Its a fairly simple process really. I set up a small business to do consulting with.
Obtain a ficticious business license. You can speak to the Dept of Commerce where you live- they will point you in the right direction. You can start working for yourself without a business license, but have an official business is the way to go. You will need to determine whether you want to incorporate, or be a sole proprietor.
I pay my taxes as 1099SE. This allows me to write off almost everything I spend as a legitimate business expense. Since I use a bedroom in my house as my office, and another bedroom as my lab, I write off a portion of my mortgage and utilities.
I pay my taxes as 1099SE. This allows me to write off almost everything I spend as a legitimate business expense. Since I use a bedroom in my house as my office, and another bedroom as my lab, I write off a portion of my mortgage and utilities.
Same here. Mortgage, utilities, cell phone, car lease (operating expense), medical, vacations, meals, etc. I'm to the point now when I make a major purchase, before i buy i try to figure out if can write it off or not.
Working for yourself is the only way to go imo.
The tax deductions alone are amazing. You would all be sick if you knew how little the self employed pay in taxes. I have a CPA run the books, as trying to do everything by yourself with a corporation is a clusterfuck, not to mention with that many deductions it raises a red flag with the IRS. So it's worth the $$ to have your books professionally done.
if it wasn't a personal message, just some guidlines or something, could you forward me the pm you sent to nbpgt? I've been self employed since graduating college in 97, i'd be curious to see what you are saying about it, coming from a tax lawyer like yourself.
It is a crazy world when you are self employed and own your own bizz. I good friend of mine is a CPA paper pusher. He always knows a trick to give Uncle Sam a buck or two less. Good guy.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment