Bush pick for high court outrages conservatives
Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
Collapse
X
-
Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
Well, Bush is full of surprises. Gotta say, I don't know squat about this gal. The fact that the far right is pissed off about her gives me hope that she may be a moderate, though -- or at least not someone from the far right, which is good enough for me.
Bush pick for high court outrages conservatives
Tags: None -
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
She has no judicial experience whatsoever and forgive me for not wanting her "internship" to be as part of the highest court in the land. Just another example of Bush giving one of his cronies an appointment when they have the worst resume for the job.A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.Comment
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
The right wing can't be happy with this appointment and it appears that the Democrats are quite happy with her. I'm surprised Bush wimped out and didn't appoint a conservative.
I won't judge her since I don't know much about her, but I do have 2 problems with her right away:
1. She's never been a judge. Only an attorney. Sure, attorneys with no experience have been appointed, but I'd prefer a judge with strong experience.
2. She was Bush's personal attorney. This to me is another example of Bush appointing people not qualified into important positions. I'm sure there are plenty of other more qualified judges that could have been appointed.Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon BonaparteComment
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
hence probably why the far right is pissed off...be interesting to see now who shows what on the voting...FM
"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers
What record did you loose your virginity to?
"I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan
Download/Listen To My Mixes
Facebook!
A Journey Into Sound On MCast
Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.Comment
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
at least 22 of the justices of the supreme court's history haven't had judgeships. most noteably, her predessor, william rhenquist. it isnt a bad thing, because she was a trial lawyer her entire legal career, so she is very much in touch with the actual feild of law, rather than those who write the law, the politicians. we could have elected a full bench of harvard educated, lifetime judges who never went the long route through the system, but that would leave them in a position of simply being knowledgeable of ""law itself", but using the ""first time judges"" enables the courts to keep a ""reality check"" of sorts on the US legal system. she has done the grind, been through the BS of the courts, and frankly, the choice is pleasing the left, and the moderate republicans, its the far right that isnt happy. a woman to boot helps the diversity cause.Originally posted by skahoundShe has no judicial experience whatsoever and forgive me for not wanting her "internship" to be as part of the highest court in the land. Just another example of Bush giving one of his cronies an appointment when they have the worst resume for the job.your life is an occasion, rise to it.
Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
download that. deep shit listed there
my dick is its own superhero.Comment
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
It is true that there have been a number of justices over the years that weren't judges before they were appointed to the Supreme Court, but I'd still feel more comfortable with someone who had spent some time as a judge. The role of a judge is very different from the role of an advocate -- for example, who knows how well she will be able to leave the advocacy behind and truly be impartial?Originally posted by thesightlessat least 22 of the justices of the supreme court's history haven't had judgeships. most noteably, her predessor, william rhenquist. it isnt a bad thing, because she was a trial lawyer her entire legal career, so she is very much in touch with the actual feild of law, rather than those who write the law, the politicians. we could have elected a full bench of harvard educated, lifetime judges who never went the long route through the system, but that would leave them in a position of simply being knowledgeable of ""law itself", but using the ""first time judges"" enables the courts to keep a ""reality check"" of sorts on the US legal system. she has done the grind, been through the BS of the courts, and frankly, the choice is pleasing the left, and the moderate republicans, its the far right that isnt happy. a woman to boot helps the diversity cause.
I'm getting a huge kick out of the far right's reaction to her.Comment
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
She's never argued a case before the Supreme Court.
In fact, she's only ever argued (3) cases in Federal Appeals Court....lost them all!!
Press releases talk about her skill and experience as an attorney but shouldn't she actually have some track record in a court???????????????????
Maybe this is Bush's idea od a "head-fake"....when she is rejected, his next nominee waltzes through......Rbert Bork anyone????????????Comment
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
oh, of course it is.
but dont trash the fact she isnt a judge already when the former chief wasnt when he wasnt elected and 20+ of them havent been.your life is an occasion, rise to it.
Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
download that. deep shit listed there
my dick is its own superhero.Comment
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
Here's a disturbing quote attributed to the Justice-to-be:
David Frum, former Bush speechwriter: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Supre...1170572&page=2She once told me that the president was the most brilliant man she had ever met.
The president has a number of good qualities. Brilliance is not one of them. If she thinks that Bush is the most brilliant man she's ever met, she's either: (1) an unbelievable brown-noser, or (2) not that bright herself. I suspect its the former, and I further suspect that it is that quality that has elevated her to this appointment.Comment
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
more gushing for the pres from his appointee:
includes this gem:
Reminds me of those notes you get on Valentines in 1st grade. Would have been even better if she said "bestest.""You are the best governor ever - deserving of great respect!" she wrote in 1997, in a belated birthday note that was typical of the tone she used in her correspondence with then-Gov. Bush.Comment
-
-
Re: Harriet Miers Appointed to Supreme Court
A great comment I saw regarding Miers unabashed flattery of Bush:
Supreme Court Justices are in the business of judging. They are supposed to use their ?judgment? to decide the most important cases and issues in the country. After reading these quotes, do you still have any faith in Harriet Miers' judgment?
I hate to be harsh, but this person is up for one of the most important jobs in the country ? a job that affects all of our lives. I don?t want someone in that position who is buried so far up George Bush?s ass that she needs a flashlight to see up there. I don?t trust her to make intelligent and independent decisions from that vantage point.

The more I hear about this gal, the less convinced I am that her appointment isn't pure and unadulterated cronyism. Roberts was absurdly well-qualified for his position. This gal's most outstanding quality appears to be a borderline creepy adoration for Bush. Relative to others on the bench, her accomplishments seem very pedestrian.Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,205
Posts: 1,238,509
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 31
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment