Limbaugh, on the other hand, is a fucking boob. I had never really realized it until I started flipping back and forth between them, but the difference is remarkable. Limbaugh skewers the facts to set up a straw man position purportedly taken by Kerry and "The Left," and then rips the straw man apart with a fairly pedestrian, obvious counter-argument. He sets himself up to "prevail" by arguing against phantom positions. The whole program is a sham.
I did happen to hear Rush get tripped up badly on my pet issue, tort reform, just the other day. Some guy called in and led Limbaugh down the rosy path of how lawyers are the root of all evil, how anyone who files a lawsuit is greedy, how all litigation is frivilous, etc. and then flipped him on it and began quizzing Rush on his own use of the courts. Rush began by taking the absurd position that he had no idea if he'd ever filed a lawsuit before, stuck with that for a while before admitting that he had sued people before, but that that was different because his cases had merit and he had been wronged, blah, blah, blah. The backpedalling was remarkable, and Rush finished the guy off by hanging up on him, going on a brief rant about something unrelated, and then cut to commercial. Whatapussy.
I guess he wants his fans to be "dittoheads" so they can just parrot his fluff without thinking about it.


Comment