TIA.
HD transfer from laptop
Collapse
X
-
HD transfer from laptop
So my wife's laptop bit the dust a couple of months ago and we've finally mustered up enough strength to go get it checked out. Well the damage assessment is pretty grim with the estimate topping $800 for a new motherboard and keyboard. I told the company that we took it to that $800 is much too great a sum and asked about doing a hard drive backup/transfer. They told me it would be $75/hour. Is this something that I can do myself? I've done transfers from desktop hard drives just fine but I'm not at all familiar with the guts of a laptop. Is it as simple as picking up a cable?
TIA.A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.Tags: None -
Re: HD transfer from laptop
Pretty simple if you've done it on desktops. Most computer stores have usb drive adaptor type deals for about 20 bucks. Take the HD out of the laptop, put it in the aforementioned case/adapter and plug the usb cable into another working computer to back up to. I think these are just called HD enclosures.
Something like this:
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/407...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin -
-
Re: HD transfer from laptop
wtf happened to supposedly claim for a new motherboard? That's steep...FM
"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers
What record did you loose your virginity to?
"I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan
Download/Listen To My Mixes
Facebook!
A Journey Into Sound On MCast
Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.Comment
-
Re: HD transfer from laptop
Sounds like a Sony. (STD Flat-Rate RepairSo my wife's laptop bit the dust a couple of months ago and we've finally mustered up enough strength to go get it checked out. Well the damage assessment is pretty grim with the estimate topping $800 for a new motherboard and keyboard. I told the company that we took it to that $800 is much too great a sum and asked about doing a hard drive backup/transfer. They told me it would be $75/hour. Is this something that I can do myself? I've done transfers from desktop hard drives just fine but I'm not at all familiar with the guts of a laptop. Is it as simple as picking up a cable?
TIA.
)
If it's outside the warranty then they will automatically charge you the $800 (assuming it's not user damage). They do this to get you back in the market for a new laptop, shady.
Oh... and the keyboard should liftup so that you may replace/remove the hard drive. Most Sony's we're designed this way and you can use aftermarket hard drives.JourneyDeep .into the soundComment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,212
Posts: 1,238,528
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 31
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment