I've caught him DJ-ing and liked his early productions like most people, but this?
James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
Collapse
X
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
I've caught him DJ-ing and liked his early productions like most people, but this?
There's no coherence in the music, you guys making any sense out of the tracks?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head. -
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
I'm gonna probably pick up the new Agoria album instead.Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
Haven't heard this album yet and it might be a collection of bleeps, but that's what I've always heard people saying about Sonic Youth as well (a collection of guitar noises). I'm sure there is SOME coherence to be found in the tracks and if not, well it's always interesting to see a new and weird approach on music anyway. Might check it out.Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
You are implying that Nathan Fakes album was bad.
Thats probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board.
Anyway .... this release is a bit pretentious but there are a few great tracks on there. I certainly wouldn't consider it a bad album. Judging from everyones response to it I guess I just don't understand what you people were expecting? Is it really that much of a surprise?Comment
-
Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
Nobody was expecting a dancefloor album...
There's no cohesion, there's no melody, this whole album has nothing.
Frankly it doesn't even sound that twisted, which was about his only saving grace in the first place.
Idiot Clapsolo is about the only thing on the album which has an appealing arrangement to me, which in turn saves Idiot a little as well.
Lump and Cordury sound as if they're built exactly the same to me, just with different noise.
That's about all worth mentioning on the album."If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004
Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
Same could be said for your comment.Thats probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board.
I've listened to 100s of albums like most on here and Nathan Fake's was simply a poor attempt. Happens all too often that producers fail to produce when it comes to an LP.Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
Exactly, people were only expecting something worth listening to, unfortunately this ain't.Nobody was expecting a dancefloor album...Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
I didn't know what to expect because I know his sound has changed drastically, which I thought left me in an open frame of mind to check out the album (took me a few days before I got around to it), which is why this is even more of a shock. I've heard twisted shit and this is not twisted. I've heard stuff by Noto and Ryuchi Sakamoto which I thought was pretty abstract and this is not it.
Come on, look at Holden's track record: Break in the clouds. Fine Day. Solstice. I have put out the light. Even Kaen Turned. Regardless of how dancefloor-friendly his productions were/are, at least those tunes made some sense. There comes a point in creativity or art where it becomes self-indulgent.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
I didn´t express myself correctly, what I meant is that if people know Holden´s work somewhat, then they should know that it was never going to be easy listening, immediate stuff, the Silver Planet/Balance days are far behind.
The Sonic Youth comment made earlier is completely spot-on, I´ve made that comparison before, to me Holden is to dance music what SY were to rock in the late 80´s, he takes dance music music conventions and subverts them,
Anyway, I´m listening to it and I like it a lot: I think it is a coherent album and above all, it is completely in line with his more recent stuff (and most Border Community releases too), so that´s probably the comment I find most strange amongst your opinions. Chaos, imperfection and silence seem to be things that he purposely picks up and tries to organize into a whole and he succeeds mostly, just like Aphex, Squarepusher, Mu-Ziq or Four Tet. I´d say this is a good album for anyone into that type of stuff.
Now with that one I might agree. It is clearly an "egotistical" album, Holden did exactly what he felt like doing, he certainly doesn´t seem to cater to anyone here, it´s a case of "fine if you like it, fine if you don´t". There´s always been and there always will be artists like Holden, who seem to defy conventions by being so self-centered. I always remember what I´ve heard about The Velvet Underground : almost no one liked them while they existed, but everyone that did, eventually started a bandThere comes a point in creativity or art where it becomes self-indulgentComment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
All of which is fair enough Kinetic but this album isn't for me. Though I do like the artists you've listed, including FSOL (definitely no comparison intended).Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
[quote=feather;398965]
Come on, look at Holden's track record: Break in the clouds. Fine Day. Solstice. I have put out the light. Even Kaen Turned. quote]
Please don't forget Horizons, and of course his work with Mainline ... who could forget Inner Space and Narcotic!!!
I haven't heard this album yet, and I am a tad discouraged by the comments on the forum. I may well just stick to listening to his Balance album ... Nathan Fake - Outhouse .... mmmmmmComment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
he is a weird lookin dude, he's got such a long neck (probably from consistently pulling his head out of his ass). now i love james holden, but his attitude needs to fucking go. i feel like he is insulting all the people in the industry around him, who play music that they like, that may not be ground breaking (god forbid). now saying that i do love his music, and i like 4 tet and all that stuff so i will buy it... but i am guessing i will not like it as much as his dancier stuff. these guys are trying a bit to hard imo, and need to take it down a notch. i kinda agree with the nathan fake comment above. i like a few songs on the album... but overall its just very average.Comment
-
Re: James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning
Accadia - Into the dawn (james holden remix)
those were the days!Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,205
Posts: 1,238,509
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 31
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.



Comment