^^^Nice read-
FAO Americans (or Jenks?) [aka the Adam's-Big-Deck Thread]
Collapse
X
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?)
^^^Nice read-
Get better leverage and protect the woodPush the envelope, watch it bend.
www.kansascitytechno.com
Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011 -
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?)
daveman is also involved in this. while not a architect, he is a civil engineer if i am remembering things correctly, and is also highly skilled in architectural engineering, and again, i might be wrong, i beleived daveman worked on a huge expressway in connecticut.
but then again, the times i was out with davemen, i usually was in rare form after a dozen guinesses.your life is an occasion, rise to it.
Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
download that. deep shit listed there
my dick is its own superhero.Comment
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?)
I have never been drunk off Guinesses, I usually have about 6 cans and pass out.dead, yet alive.Comment
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?)
Funny, I did the same thing over the holidays using Google Sketch-up to draw plans for my desk. Finally finished it (and the reason for this late reply). I thought I was going to be all caught up on shit and then blew a head gasket on my car, so that's a couple more days of having to do other shit.
Still gotta add a few things to the desk (like another shelf on the right side and rack rails) but here's a pic:
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin FranklinComment
-
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?)
i designed my desktop in sketchup too, nice and simple app.Funny, I did the same thing over the holidays using Google Sketch-up to draw plans for my desk. Finally finished it (and the reason for this late reply). I thought I was going to be all caught up on shit and then blew a head gasket on my car, so that's a couple more days of having to do other shit.
Still gotta add a few things to the desk (like another shelf on the right side and rack rails) but here's a pic:

Comment
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?)
Apologies for the delayed response, I wasn't aware this thread was still going. Daveman and I both graduated from KSU in '02 with degrees in architecture. I work in a small office, only four of us. My principals are married and are both regestered architects. We do mostly high end custom residential work with a hint of light commercial and municipal project. Here is our website- www.sdatelier.com.
Daveman just moved back to KC at the end of the summer to work for a 50+ firm working on large commercial projects. I know he's currently working on a campus design for a college in Dubai.
Just to give you an idea of the work we do- this is my baby- I worked on this house for over two years. The schematics, design development, and construction documents took around nine months, and construction took just over a year. It is a modest house, not overly large, and incorporates some really nice elements- a local pine post and beam timber frame, high end windows and quality finishes-
Progress Photo of the Frame-

Progress Interior shot-

Progress Exterior shot-

This project is farily typical of the style of work we do. We incoporate a lot of craftsman ideas into an arts and crafts home. It was a great experience and the Owners are very happy with the outcome.Push the envelope, watch it bend.
www.kansascitytechno.com
Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011Comment
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?)
To be a little more specific about what I do- about 75% of my time is spent in AutoCAD. I am a cad whore to some degree- The good thing is, my work is not repetitive and Im not working on just bathroom and closet details. I am involved from project conception to completion. Generally, a principal will lay out the schematic design then hand it off to me to develope and complete. At this point, I basically become a project manager. I work and meet with the clients, build hand-built massing models as well as 3d computer models using Form-Z and SketchUp. I also spend a bit of time in Photoshop to produce color elevation studies and final presentations. If the client elects, I can be involved with construction administration and help the General Contractor oversee the project and make sure everything in on track and being implemented by the design. Overall, its been a great job with a wise set of experiences and Im glad to being doing something that comes natural to me. My next step is to become a registered liscensed architect, which I am currently working on.Push the envelope, watch it bend.
www.kansascitytechno.com
Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011Comment
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?)
here's what i'm planning.
before

after


here's the Google SketchUp file for the nerds that want to see it closer.
any recommendations/suggestions/best practices I might be missing?Comment
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?) [aka the Adam's-Big-Deck Thread]
^^^^^Break out the hammer & nails and get to work!!Push the envelope, watch it bend.
www.kansascitytechno.com
Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011Comment
-
Re: FAO Americans (or Jenks?) [aka the Adam's-Big-Deck Thread]
I went through and made a wood parts list. I have a buddy that has promised ~50% of the wood for free.. he's going to tell me how much of it on the list he can get, then I'll go price out the rest, then I'll try to build a parts list for braces/connectors/etc. then it's on
Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,209
Posts: 1,238,523
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 32
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment