If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Folks. I think it is over. Today Paramount drops HD DVD and goes with Blu.
With most major movie studios now backing Blu-Ray ... Sony can finally say they have won a format war. I am kinda happy about the Blu_Ray technology it is far superior then HD DVD. The only thing I do not like is the Sony has it hands in all this and I really do not like Sony.
I've been holding out getting one player lest I give an unfair advantage to its rival (I always guess wrong on competing tech), but it looks like it's time to go shopping...
i always thought bluray was better in it's amazing amount of capacity. But frankly the movie studios don't put that much extra on most of the dvd's they've released on that format anyway. So why all the waste of space and your paying more $$ for the disc.
I'll stick with my three dvd players until some better way of watching tele comes about.
its about time they get this settled ... sucks to those who bought HD-DVDs and find that those movies would probably be released on Blu-Rays in the future
I am kinda happy about the Blu_Ray technology it is far superior then HD DVD. The only thing I do not like is the Sony has it hands in all this and I really do not like Sony.
Blu Ray Wins.
I agree. I'm not a supporter of Sony at all but I am glad this technology is winning. As to the person that doesn't understand the difference between an output from a DVD vs. one from a BD disc, do your homework. Blu-ray rules. And you can back up a crapload of data on one of those discs.
So Blu-Ray has done the business with Paramount. I still am a bit dubious about the whole thing. HD-DVD has advantages over blu-ray, so I would still be a little wary about ignoring the HD-DVD format altogether. I know LG make a player that plays both formats. I have a sneaky suspicion, this isn't over by a long shot...
So Blu-Ray has done the business with Paramount. I still am a bit dubious about the whole thing. HD-DVD has advantages over blu-ray, so I would still be a little wary about ignoring the HD-DVD format altogether. I know LG make a player that plays both formats. I have a sneaky suspicion, this isn't over by a long shot...
What advantages does it have? Is it because you can save less data on a disc? Woo!
That LG isn't the only one out there but it is quite cheap. You can find it for around $220 and sometimes less. Not bad at all but it does have limitations and not all HD DVD and BD discs work with it. Way to go, LG.
Went to Fry's today and I was amazed in the stock of HD DVD. Though HD DVD lost, they should have made a huge run in the PC market. I really believe that there were two markets in this battle ... Home theatre and PC. One would really become the standard for the replacement of DVD's and the other winner would become the standard for digital backups. Since Blu Ray captured the video market and also has a higher theoretical storage capacity ... I am really reluctant to say that they even have a chance.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment