If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
and depending on the complexity of each one, it can take forever just to learn what each can do.
that's not true, if you know theory and options you know what each can do in a minute...
that is just for beginers, that always miss the main point, to learn synth structure and basics of effects. Once you learn the basics it all becomes easy, but most never does, so that's why you think that way....
Depends on what you are talking about.
Not absolutely certain about everything, but I think that the bottom line is system resources. Does the installation of a synth or plug in use up more resources? It slows down the boot up of a sequencer (I suppose when it scans your plug in directory). Does anyone know if certain plugins use up system resources even when they are not actually in use probqably some do, but I wouldn't think that it would be that much. I read somewhere poorly programmed plugs will eat up more resources than efficient code. (I'm PC XPSP1) Processor Speed, RAM, Virtual memory, and my soundcard pretty much set the limit for how much i actually can use at any given time. If you monitor your system resources you will see that certain plugs have bigger drains than others when in use.
I always felt that more is more, in so far as, having more tools, more power, more options, especially since the tools are constantly evolving, but good music doesn't care how many plugs you have and neither will the listener.
The only reason you need more than a couple synths is if you don't fully know how to make sounds from your synths. I can make almost and lead or bass sound using just synth1 which is a free vst synth. I guess if all you know how to do is use presets than it would be neccessary to have alot of different synths.
Some synths come with really cool effects built in which may be a reason to use them. I personally only use about 4-5 vst synths. I got rid of all but about 8 of mine. If two different synths have the ecxact same construction. 3 lfos 2 filters ect. than they should be capable of making the exact same sound.
Yeah once you know how synths work then its fairly easy to make your own sounds, just be wild and experiment with all the nobs then you'll learn. I'd say start off with a few but sometimes a new synth with its patches can be quite inspiring so I cycle through lots of free ones, while keeping the work horses for the typical sounds.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment