If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
years ago the question of whether there would be another draft was one that was laughable. today, however, with an ever expanding theater in the middle east and a full scale war against iran, there is always the possibility that with diminished manpower of the armed forces that our legislators could reinstate the draft. Even Obama, who would seemably believe that we individuals exist for the sake of the government, could very well support the draft. And, in light of the growing talks of a potential pre-emptive strike against Iran either in july or between the election and the inauguration... a Draft seems ever more possible.
That said, I was hoping to see how some of you have thought out what you would do if there was a Draft and/or if you were drafted subsequent to it.
Me? I imagine I would duck out of the county, to australia or canada, perhaps sweeden or finland or norway. A good friend of mine suggest that I do as he did: create the file work to show a supporting case for a conscious objector so that you don't have to leave the country but also don't have to serve.
What's your position?
you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky
it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles
I'm from Canada and would advise any Americans who don't want to be drafted for the Iran war come on up now... If you come later you are a draft dodger if you do it now it looks better..
The Bush administration has launched a "significant escalation" of covert operations in Iran, sending U.S. commandos to spy on the country's nuclear facilities and undermine the Islamic republic's government, journalist Seymour Hersh said Sunday.
Depending on the rules & regulations, personally I may be able to be medically exempt.
But of course we've seen felons and others get accepted into the Forces because of constantly dwindling recruitment #'s so who really knows?
The latest bill sitting is HR 393...no calls, considerations or anything of the caliber for it right now. But, the title makes sense:
"To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make permanent the favorable treatment afforded combat pay under the earned income tax credit, and for other purposes."
FM
"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers
What record did you loose your virginity to?
"I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan
You can move back to the country where you have dual citizenship.
OR you have to do something to get your US citizenship revoked - (like take a government job in your other country) but that is not necessarily a wise move.
I have absoutely no problem - and in fact I would be delighted - if my kids decided to choose a military career in which ever country they end up in. But there is a HUGE difference in choosing and being forced to fight.
My views would clearly also depend on the cause that was being fought for - another without basis pre-emptive strike - GTFO
....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....
^interesting thought. i'm wondering what would happen if one had dual citizenship: still forced to fight?
I have a dual citizenship. assuming your other country of citizenship is not in a war, then yes, I believe you're still forced to fight. The US oftentimes doesn't preclude you from having other citizenships, but it also doesn't necessarily recognize any of them when it comes to US legal matters related to US citizens. They'll get you even if you're just a permanent resident with a citizenship somewhere else.
Me, I'm old. I'm about to turn 30, which is well past the current draft age around here. By the time they'd get around to extending the draft to 30-some year olds, I figure we'd probably be in a dire world war situation where running isn't an option anyways.
I really hate the thought of a draft. It'shard enough to do your job with some of the quality of people certain branches decide to let join, the last thing you need is a bunch of people who were forced to be in. i really don't see a problem with peopl leaving, especially if the cause was a grey area. On the other hand those who would leave should expect a little shunning if and when they come back, but it will eventually wear off. As everyone knows some countries require military service from their population, just be lucky you're not there.
" Focus on the subtleties and the world becomes grander"
I have a dual citizenship. assuming your other country of citizenship is not in a war, then yes, I believe you're still forced to fight. The US oftentimes doesn't preclude you from having other citizenships, but it also doesn't necessarily recognize any of them when it comes to US legal matters related to US citizens. They'll get you even if you're just a permanent resident with a citizenship somewhere else.
My understanding is that if you're already a US Citizen, you can take on other countries' citizenship as well, but if you're a citizen of another country and want to be a US citizen, you have to give up your citizenship of the other country. It would surprise me to find out that there was any sort of difference between being a US Citizen and having dual citizenship in terms of what rights/responsibilities you have in the US -- I think either you're a citizen or you're not.
My understanding is that if you're already a US Citizen, you can take on other countries' citizenship as well, but if you're a citizen of another country and want to be a US citizen, you have to give up your citizenship of the other country.
not true. an old girlfriend of mine we both know was a czech citizen, then became an american citizen, and she has dual citizenship.
Wonder if that's new. I'm going off of what some travelers told me while backpacking across Europe way back when. Then again, perhaps that's what I get for trusting the word of strangers on a train...
^^ I think it varies by nation. The US does not encourage or necessarily recognize dual citizenship, but they will oftentimes accept it as long as it does not pose any sort of a legal conflict for either side. Such legal conflicts may result in ongoing agreements with certain nations to disallow dual citizenships.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment