as long as the term software dj isnt used to belittle the quality of the dj then whatever.
Richie Hawtins Setup
Collapse
X
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
as long as the term software dj isnt used to belittle the quality of the dj then whatever." Darkness Imprisioning Me
All That I See
Absolute Horror
I Cannot Live
I Cannot Die
Trapped In Myself
Body My Holding Cell"-James Hetfield(Metallica)
soulseek sn buckman28 -
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
Why so touchy over this software DJ thing?
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
Bro, as long as you are pushing yourself. You should never feel bad about being called a software dj. You can see Richie uses the software to help make his sets even more sick.Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
Xone 4D DJ Mixer = $2500 - 3000 (the combo package instead of having a mixer + 2 Xone sidewing MIDI controllers)
Apple MacBook Pro = $2500 - 3000 each (decent sized Apple laptop) x2 = $5000 - 6000
NI Traktor Scratch software = $550-$600
+ probably recommend external firewire drives and misc. cables = $500-$750
I would estimate around $10,000 USD not including all MP3's, tunes, additional software like audio editing, plug-ins, cases, bags, studio structure set-ups.Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
Xone 4D DJ Mixer = $2500 - 3000 (the combo package instead of having a mixer + 2 Xone sidewing MIDI controllers)
Apple MacBook Pro = $2500 - 3000 each (decent sized Apple laptop) x2 = $5000 - 6000
NI Traktor Scratch software = $550-$600
+ probably recommend external firewire drives and misc. cables = $500-$750
I would estimate around $10,000 USD not including all MP3's, tunes, additional software like audio editing, plug-ins, cases, bags, studio structure set-ups.
He doesn't use the 4D mixer. He uses his customized Xone 92 with the 1D's for his control surfaces, which are much cheaper if you've already got a nice dj mixer.
The 1D can be bought online for 349.00 each.
TRAKTOR 3 Upgrade for TRAKTOR SCRATCH users:
€99 / $119 Includes: TRAKTOR 3 software/Manual
And remember, you can buy a firewire WD 500GIG External for a little over 100$ now. Which should hold all the sound you need for a good 48 hour show. In WAV format.
So I just got the price down quite a bit.Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
You're still talking about:
$700 for Traktor Scratch pakage + Traktor 3
$700 for 1Ds
$2,000 at least for his custom CTRL 92
$3,000~ per MacBook Pro
$1,000 for pair of technics he doesn't use
$120 for lacie firewire hd
+unknown price for speakers
So if he breaks out his second mbp to use with ableton (even without the 1200s) you're easily talking over $10,000
However, I imagine that he is getting the native instrument software/hardware for free. He does a lot of promo stuff for Traktor/Traktor Scratch on the NI website.Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
Richie Hawtins set-up - $10,000
A years supply of testosterone pills to allow beard growth - $500
Listening to [ms] users ague about the cost of something someone else owns - PricelessComment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
Most dj's already have some of that stuff. But you're not going to find that custom xone 92, as it was customized by his Dad.Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
Wow. i thought everyone knew about that. Yeah he is even interviewed about that in the hawtin documentary from slices.Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
Ive been seriously thinking about getting back into djing by going the tracktor scratch route.I feel as though if I were to be using that method people would consider me less of a dj simply for using tracktor or tracktor scratch.Not to mention I have a really close friend of mine that uses tracktor scratch.He is using not for the sole purpose of mixing and not on the level of Richie Hawtin.More so to enhance his mixing." Darkness Imprisioning Me
All That I See
Absolute Horror
I Cannot Live
I Cannot Die
Trapped In Myself
Body My Holding Cell"-James Hetfield(Metallica)
soulseek sn buckman28Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
well i understand where you're coming from. I was just looking over the photos from the mutek festival and it seems that most of the performances there were from people and their laptops. And damn these people make dance music look boring, cause all they are doing is staring at a computer screen instead of interacting with a crowd. If you are using a computer to do your mixing for you, thay you really do have more time to interact with a crowd...but it seems as if more and more people simply don't interact with their crowd. Which is a shame.Comment
-
Re: Richie Hawtins Setup
It's a double edged thing. Digweed never interacts with the crowd and he's on decks. Carl Cox is all over the place. Tenaglia has his stupid fog light.
And I've seen Junkie XL press buttons while prancing around like an idiot on stage. But if you looked at Infusion or Underworld, they just do their thing.
So it's not so much about interacting or having more opportunity to interact, it's about multitasking and doing all that layering and editing shit live like.
Besides buckman, you're doing what you do, who cares if people think you're a software DJ? 'Software DJ' is only as bad as you think or other people make it sound to be.
A lot of bedroom DJs or professionals I know have moved on to software, and more of them considering the same route.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,210
Posts: 1,238,525
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 32
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment