If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
One of the front-burner issues has been the digital music rights for the work that makes up Frank Zappa's primary catalog. Many recording artists have expressed their distaste for digital sound, arguing that when their work is compressed into MP3 files, it can seem flat and thin. What the public might not know, Gail says, "is that it was Frank's concept to limit [the sale] to a format so that it was accurately represented, that being 16-bit technology -- CDs. He didn't want it compressed. So we're currently in a lawsuit over this issue."
What's at stake here is intent: "iTunes has been from the get-go massively compressed. That's fine perhaps if you're Britney Spears . . . but it's not fine for Frank Zappa's music, and he was interested in protecting that." A spokesperson for Rykodisc parent Warner Music had no comment.
The musician's widow, Gail, says she promised him that she'd look out for his legacy.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoff
a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
Originally posted by m1sT3rL
Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
Originally posted by TheVrk
it IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than Hernan
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
Fair enough .... but his music probably ends up being shared illegally anyway.
sigpicSimonR
This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
He's a very serious artist
sigpicSimonR
This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
Yeah and his music was technical as anything could be. Just listen to his Yellow Shark album from the Ensemble Modern. Awesome stuff.
And Itunes should be forced to begin selling music at 320 or even lossless flac formats. Long gone are the days of 56k Modems for everyone. I think that was the original reason why we got mp3's...to stream music over the net. And for some reason it just stayed at 128.
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
The mp3 ripping scene used to release at 192 cbr and they're now doing 192 vbr instead, with some 320 releases. But lossless stuff like FLAC is still very niche for some reason. And now with iPods, a lot of people use iTunes as their player which comes with its own default encoding settings, and these people never explore custom settings.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoff
a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
Originally posted by m1sT3rL
Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
^^^thats what sucks about the damn thing(the ipod). you have a whole and future generation of low quality "delivery". People use the ipod as there source of music in the car, the house, walking down the street.Fuck they even have a ipod dj platform(which is just fucking stupid). I like having a stereo and receiver that i can tweak.
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
^^^ There, there, calm down ! But pretty much e agree with everything!! To actually sell 128 is just plain daylight robbery!!
About CDs though. I am getting dud cds much more often than I used to.
Originally posted by TheVrk
it IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than Hernan
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
But iPod is more storage than a delivery medium? It's up to people what fidelity they want to store their music in. Just as it's up to people to NOT use the shitty earphones. Those white earphones are so ubiquitous, I wonder how people can listen to anything on them.
I think rather than blame it on the iPod, the fault lies with people who simply don't care about the quality of what they hear. The same people who would go out and think of music as stuff they play in the background while they talk.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoff
a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
Originally posted by m1sT3rL
Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
Jobs had even said that they made the 80 and 160 GIG Ipods to get more audiophile like people into getting an ipod...I know it's what sold me, you'd be hard pressed to find avything on my ipod that isn't 320 or wav.
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
I put everything I get on in the highest quality possible. You really can tell the difference!!
Originally posted by TheVrk
it IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than Hernan
Re: Fine if you're Britney ... not if you're Frank Zappa
Originally posted by jeffrey collins
Jobs had even said that they made the 80 and 160 GIG Ipods to get more audiophile like people into getting an ipod...I know it's what sold me, you'd be hard pressed to find avything on my ipod that isn't 320 or wav.
a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
Originally posted by m1sT3rL
Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment