If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I am looking to buy a lap top in the next month or so and am deffo leaning towards using Traktor scratch.. my question is, do any of you know if the issues with using these or any other audio type software with Vista have been sorted out?
I would prefer using XP, but most new laptops/computers come loaded with Vista or make you pay $100 to downgrade to XP
I have a copy of XP Pro that I could install, but I dont want to take the chance on messing something up on a brand new laptop.
*this isnt a signal to start a debate on serato Vs traktor Vs cdjs Vs vinyl lol
I know that they are expensive, but....Macbook or Macbook pro...Perfect for running either of those programs because they don't have a lot of shit running in the background that would hog resources and make Serato/Traktor Scratch crash during a gig.....
As far as a Windows based computer goes, the only experience I have had was with a Compaq that crashed every time I ran Serato...Probably had a lot to do with how much free space I had or whatever, but the experience wasn't good...Killed the vibe real quick.
If I could afford a mac book I wouldnt be having this conversation.. I already have the one picked out I want to get after talking with a few dj's that use them.. the thing is it comes with vista and costs 100.00 to downgrade to XP.. again, which I have, just concerned with screwing something up if I do a fresh install of XP
as far as having shit running in the background, this will only have Traktor on it, not using it to surf or really anything else other than audio stuff and maybe photoshop and dreamweaver.. but it is definitely not going online
If I could afford a mac book I wouldnt be having this conversation.. I already have the one picked out I want to get after talking with a few dj's that use them.. the thing is it comes with vista and costs 100.00 to downgrade to XP.. again, which I have, just concerned with screwing something up if I do a fresh install of XP
as far as having shit running in the background, this will only have Traktor on it, not using it to surf or really anything else other than audio stuff and maybe photoshop and dreamweaver.. but it is definitely not going online
True. Good idea not to use it to surf the internets.Strip that sucker down to the bare essentials and I would imagine that it would run fine. What kind of computer is it?
either a Dell Vostro or a Lenovo.. dual core 1.9, 2gigs ram blah blah.. I know a number of people that have used these in clubs and they work great with both serato and traktor.. have a seen a few for under $600.00
but right now thats neither here nor there, I'm more concerned with the XP vs Vista issue
My buddy has Serato running rock solid on a Vista HP machine, so it is possible. The comp will need to be in tip top shape, not running any other programs, etc. But so far so good.
That's what I was thinking too..In order to run Serato/Traktor on a windows based lappy, the start up would have to be set to little or no programs running except for those that need to be...Turn wireless off, optimise the system, and set it to run more power efficient....
Even with a Macbook/Pro, you have to make sure that you have it running efficiently, for Serato to run effectively.
Also, Steve, one of the USB ports will work worse than the other..Best to test that out at home before going out to play and finding out then...USB dropouts are not fun..
I use Traktor Scratch and would highly recommend it. I'm running it on an mbp so I can't really help you with vista.
However, I browse the T3/TS forums and have seen this topic come up a lot. There definitely ARE people running T3 & TS on vista successfully. However, when installing Traktor on any laptop I'd be prepared to spend a while configuring your computer and the software to obtain optimal results.
you could always try it for a while on vista and if there were any problems you couldn't fix then downgrade yourself to XP. I'd try it out for a while though, even with my mac it took a few updates & lots of trial & error on my end to tweak my laptop & hardware before I was able to obtain optimum performance.
i guess my concern about installing xp on a laptop with vista, is if it will be missing drivers i might need..the dell website charges you 99.00 to downgrade to XP, lol
so that's why i would rather be able to install it myself
i have done stuff on regular pc's, i guess laptops make me nervous because i dont think i would be able to fix it myself and have to ship it off and pay an arm and a leg, lol
but right now thats neither here nor there, I'm more concerned with the XP vs Vista issue
I got an HP with Vista 64 Bit and tried to run Traktor but failed. Then I tried to dual boot vista with XP and HP weren't having it. They actually lock down parts of the bios so you can't make the change. 3 months and numerous geek forums later and I was home but it was a nightmare.
There is a Vista patch coming supposedly but NI are very cagey with a date so I wouldn't hold my breath.
just found out a friend of mine that has had a Toshiba laptop for just over a month is willing to sell it to me for $400.00! she just bought a Dell Studio laptop and needs to get rid of the one she has.. has vista though.. but for that money I can pass it up
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment