So anyways, I'm listening to some more up-to-date sets of both Sasha, Digweed, even Nick Warren, and I'm wondering....what happened to such wicked transitions? So I go and start listening to some of Sasha's older live mixes when he was using vinyl, and start listening to some of his more recent stuff using Ableton. His earlier stuff is really full of this building energy, and his more recent stuff, not so much. I mean, the tracks of course are obviously different over the span of 8-10 years, but I get the sense that there he rarely does this anymore, usually relying on that clickety-flanger effect between tracks. I could totally be the only that has noticed this, and I could very well be wrong, but I'm curious if anyone else could come to a similar conclusion about this. Alternatively, another explanation could be that tracks today don't melodically weave as well as tracks years ago. Food for thought and discussion I guess. Bring on the fire.
mixing between tracks
Collapse
X
-
mixing between tracks
there was a thread on this forum (it's still here, somewhere) talking about the best transitions between two or three tracks. Typically, the baguio track-music saved my life-useless and the first two tracks on NE: East Coast, and a few tracks on the first disk of GU: San Fran come up. Of course, it's not limited to these three particular transitions, but they always come up. You know, the mixes that really really build a set and push it forward. Another one that comes to mind is the first three tracks on Sasha's St. Ives Dance Parade mix.
So anyways, I'm listening to some more up-to-date sets of both Sasha, Digweed, even Nick Warren, and I'm wondering....what happened to such wicked transitions? So I go and start listening to some of Sasha's older live mixes when he was using vinyl, and start listening to some of his more recent stuff using Ableton. His earlier stuff is really full of this building energy, and his more recent stuff, not so much. I mean, the tracks of course are obviously different over the span of 8-10 years, but I get the sense that there he rarely does this anymore, usually relying on that clickety-flanger effect between tracks. I could totally be the only that has noticed this, and I could very well be wrong, but I'm curious if anyone else could come to a similar conclusion about this. Alternatively, another explanation could be that tracks today don't melodically weave as well as tracks years ago. Food for thought and discussion I guess. Bring on the fire.you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky
it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles
Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....
----PEACE-----Tags: None -
Re: mixing between tracks
the best mixing they ever did technically speaking was expeditions. IMHO at least. that CD changed my POV on dance music from being somewhat cheesey atmospheric stuff to true blue head fuck music.
the first halves of both those CD's are utter brilliance. especially the seaside atmosphere into der dritte raum's polarstern and right into fridtious groove/ red devil/mess wit da bull.... wow.
also of note..
desyn's balance cd's , not there is some pure mixing, no computer edits at all, 100% vinyl to vinyl recording. also, nick warrens brazil.your life is an occasion, rise to it.
Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
download that. deep shit listed there
my dick is its own superhero. -
Comment
-
Re: mixing between tracks
A lot to do with the individual tracks too I'm sure.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: mixing between tracks
^ nothing like finding those songs that match perfectly and just flow. sounds, noises, frequencies and everything perfectly in place. always helps to know what you're doing to bring out those sounds too!
Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?Comment
-
Re: mixing between tracks
^
. great transitions are one of the paramount things i enjoy most about a mix. i really love when choice choons conjoin together so seemlessly, harmonically and beautifully, that they almost take on a newborn id.
i only know how to mix with turntables, but i just bought ableton live not to long ago, and mixing with software is really weird and frustrating at times, it really annoys me (arrangement view really does). /confused(((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))Comment
-
Re: mixing between tracks
danny howells - 24/7 disc one (last part of the mix to be more specific) and disc two (the idiots track mixed into that accapella) and the tracks prior and after
Some recent Jody mixes come to mind as well
so many more but cant think of them right now.."A man has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer."
Want Spoon'n music?
Check out my downtempo mixes
http://ryanlinneman.podOmatic.com
Comment
-
Re: mixing between tracks
Do you guys think it's because music was more melodic and had better basslines? DJs used to key-mix and blend them together beautifully, but with today's tracks, you don't seem to need to key-mix because they're either too pared down or the melody isn't the same.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: mixing between tracks
Gents by no good measure are you masters in the dance music genre and I am in awe many a day reading the stuff you guys put on here.
I started listening to house music late in life (when i was 36 yrs old) and one of my first compilations i bought was Hernan's masters series and if i may put my two cents to this thread i have always thought the mix of Hernan Cattaneo & Dean Coleman "Behind The Music" and Morgan Page & Gregory Shiff feat. Astrid Suryato "All I Know" (Hernan Cattaneo & Martin Garcia Remix) was awesome.
The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!Comment
-
Re: mixing between tracks
dude, that analogy is perfect.

Feather: you noticed that too? A lot less lush & funk to the tracks now.
Still though, I'm wondering why this is. As far as key-mixing goes, it should be alot easier on a computer or even mixing down edits to use in a cd-player.you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky
it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles
Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....
----PEACE-----Comment
-
Re: mixing between tracks
Maybe it's just the way the tracks are, or the nature of the crowd ... the stage is setup by the warmup DJ so the main act comes on and only needs to play the peak time tunes and the crowd favourites to whip everyone into a frenzy. I very seldom enjoy a live Sasha set but his Thank You mixes shows he still knows how to put a set together.
Personally I'm a fan of good basslines, deep rolling ones or good beats, not the plodding shit, and you hardly ever hear a good bassline these days. It's the blending of the basslines that build up a drive and momentum in the music so it just carries you forward without any effort on your part. You might enjoy all the melodies and whatever weird sounds in the tracks, but if the bassline isn't moving you, it's not moving you.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Comment
-
Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,209
Posts: 1,238,523
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 32
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment