mercuryserver progressive culture • est. 2002 TRY THE NEWHORIZON BETALIVE READ-ONLY PREVIEW ↗

FAO Golfers -- Bandon Dunes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004
    • 6588

    #1

    FAO Golfers -- Bandon Dunes

    First and foremost, I am not an avid golfer. I enjoy playing, but I only get out a half a dozen times a year or so. That痴 where I知 coming from. With that said, though, I have to share this golf experience in case there are any other golfers out there.

    I知 on the way back from a trip to Bandon Dunes, a completely under-appreciated golf resort in southern Oregon. Two of the three courses are pure, old world, links-style courses, the third a modified links course, all with a generous helping of hills and dunes surrounding the various holes. Landed Wednesday night, played 36 yesterday, 18 today, and on my way back on the red eye this evening�

    The first really cool thing about Bandon is that golf carts are not allowed, and the use of caddies is encouraged. In some respects, this would seem an annoyance, especially if you池e used to playing cart golf where you buzz around from place to place and get irritated on days that it痴 田art path only.� After teeing off, though, your caddy grabs your bag, you start walking towards your ball, and you quickly realize there is some method to the madness.

    Even though it is a links course, the dunes that surround each hole ensure that you really can稚 see other holes, other players, anything. There are no girls that come around to sell you beer and cigars. No trash cans, no cart paths, no guys out on mowers, and only the most minimal markings to indicate where the next hole is or that you池e even at the tee box. The paths from hole to hole are literally foot-worn paths that cut over dunes or through brush to your next destination, maybe covered with cedar mulch, maybe not. With the exception of the rough, which is really, really rough, pretty much all of the grass is the same length, from tee box to green, and it痴 hard to even tell where the green 澱egins.� I honestly have no idea how they keep it so well-manicured, because I didn稚 see a soul working on the course the whole time I was out there. It was the closest thing to a time-warp I致e ever experienced.

    You would think I would miss the creature comforts of most contemporary golf resorts, but it is all so immersive, I completely forgot about all of that shit. I was just me, the course, and my ball out there, with the salt-water infused air and the sound of the Pacific crashing on the shore below.

    Oh, and my caddy. I致e never played with a caddy before, and I can稚 tell you how cool it is to have someone that knows the course well helping you around. Moreover, after about 5 holes, the guy knew me well enough that I壇 arrive at the ball, and he壇 have the right club in his hand. At one point, I asked for my nine on a blind 125 yard shot, he handed me my six iron and told me to trust him, that it was 努indier up there than I thought.� Sure enough, I hit it and it dropped right next to the pin. Never asked for another club after that, just hit what he gave me.

    Here痴 the point of all of this. If you池e a golfer, you owe it to yourself to get up to Bandon, OR and give these courses a try. They ain稚 cheap -- $265 a round, plus another $80-90 a round for the caddy � but it was a damn near a spiritual experience, and I知 not even an avid golfer. It is the opposite of the hyper commercial golf resort (at least when you池e on the course) and is truly an experience like no other.

  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004
    • 6588

    #2
    Re: FAO Golfers -- Bandon Dunes

    Oh, and the scenery was spectacular. A few notable holes:

    Bandon Dunes #16:



    Pacific Dunes #13



    Bandon Trails #3

    Comment

    • Lorn
      Looking for a title!
      • Sep 2004
      • 5826

      #3
      Re: FAO Golfers -- Bandon Dunes

      Definitely a golf destination.

      Comment

      • arniepalmer
        Fresh Peossy
        • Nov 2004
        • 34

        #4
        Re: FAO Golfers -- Bandon Dunes

        not a better game in the world than golf imo and bandon creates an old school experience of the way the game should be. I hope to make it out there some day. If you liked bandon, you should head to WI and play whistling straits, very similar in regards to the look, caddies, minimalism, etc.

        Comment

        • toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004
          • 6588

          #5
          Re: FAO Golfers -- Bandon Dunes

          Originally posted by arniepalmer
          not a better game in the world than golf imo and bandon creates an old school experience of the way the game should be. I hope to make it out there some day. If you liked bandon, you should head to WI and play whistling straits, very similar in regards to the look, caddies, minimalism, etc.
          Will have to check that out, for sure.

          The other notable thing -- no HOUSES anywhere on the course. I've gotten so used to seeing courses dotted with huge houses along the fairways, their absence was conspicuous...

          Comment

          • Lorn
            Looking for a title!
            • Sep 2004
            • 5826

            #6
            Re: FAO Golfers -- Bandon Dunes

            Originally posted by toasty

            The other notable thing -- no HOUSES anywhere on the course. I've gotten so used to seeing courses dotted with huge houses along the fairways, their absence was conspicuous...
            Ah yes. A sight for sore eyes. Houses are so annoying on most courses.

            Comment

            Working...
              THE DOOROCTA PLAYER
              Enter the full venue ↗