even the beatmatching on decks or cdjs takes some time! with the laptop you dont have to worry about that so you gaining some extra time. as long as you doing something to fill this time and dont just sit back and wait 6 mins to start the next track and then another 7 mins and so on, then laptop is fine imo.
Carl Craig is a fucking ...
Collapse
X
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
even the beatmatching on decks or cdjs takes some time! with the laptop you dont have to worry about that so you gaining some extra time. as long as you doing something to fill this time and dont just sit back and wait 6 mins to start the next track and then another 7 mins and so on, then laptop is fine imo.Greeks don't fight like heroes, heroes fight like Greeks
"Winston Churchill"
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
If to you djing is all about doing the easy part of it... fine suit yourself.
Then pretty much in 5 years from now you will encounter a horrible nightmare which will be ...no dj's to see. lol lol lol lol lol lol until then ta ta...
Comment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
It surprises me that Hernan has hung out this long, because he is definitely into technology. But I still find it disappointing. The worst thing about laptop Djing for me that the Dj's are totally involved with their little computer. It's a wonderful thing watching good Djs mix, the laptop thing removes them even further from us, even though the music will still be great.The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never DiesOriginally posted by TheVrkit IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than HernanComment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
Just a shame his music is shit now !!
The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never DiesOriginally posted by TheVrkit IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than HernanComment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
Mate I fail to see how it is an out of context and irrelevant analogy. How about you give me a good one that compares vinyl and laptop mixing? Your acoustic vs electric guitar analogy is even more irrelevent because an electric guitar doesn't play itself, both instrument requires skills, except an electric guitar produces a completely different kind of sound.Again this is all a mind thing ... you seem a bit of an idealist which is fine , but if you are going to do an analogy of something like "painting" i think is totally out of context and irrelevant , because a painting is done with oils and organic material taking many days involving the mood of the painter throughout all those days.
This reminds me of the history of the electric guitar when it came out many years ago and of-course the people that where used to the acoustic guitars were horrified by it , imagine all the great music that we would have missed if the electric guitar would've never been invented.
Say you have a juggler juggling with his hands. And he tries to multi tasks, adding knives and chainsaws into the mix. Now you have another juggler who has a machine juggling balls. All he's doing is throwing knives and chainsaws to the machine which catches them and times each juggle perfectly. Sure he spends a lot of time thinking about the shit to throw into the mix, maybe he's standing there with paint, splattering each item in a different colour.
I am saying with both, you appreciate the end result which is the set on the whole. But clearly between the two, one of them requires a lot more practice and skill.
And neither am I dissing the use of laptops, I'm not a Luddite, I know using a laptop frees up a DJ to do a lot more shit; my friend pointed out Craig was editing one of the tracks 'cos the original was nothing like what she heard before.
The bottomline is, you still need some skills to play a technically 'perfect' set using two decks, and your fingers to keep the records in time; because guess what, those vinyls aren't cut perfectly, and the decks don't run perfectly. You have to constantly make allowances for, and to fix any abberations.
All I'm trying to say is, I was blown away by the mixing. I was blown away by the amazing beat matching and the way he lined up the sounds for the transitions, and holding those transitions for so long. It was technically brilliant if it was done by hand. And this has nothing to do with beat matching being a basic skill that any DJ should know. You think beat matching is easy shit, sure, if you're doing 5-10 seconds of outros into intros. The precision of the sounds coming in, and holding those long mixes, is not something any DJ can pull off if he's used to quick and dirty fade ins and outs.
Some of you are ready to forgo beat matching and excuse the use of laptops, because software ONLY helps you with beat matching, everything else is up to the DJ. You use the idea of programming as what separates a good DJ from a bad DJ because beat matching is conveniently out of the equation.
I would challenge that, maintaining those long mixes is where real skills come in, something which is clearly easier to do with software. Track selection is what happens in the DJ's head, but mixing is ultimately reliant on his body's memory of the practice he's put into it.Last edited by feather; January 2, 2009, 05:43:45 AM.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
I agree that software mixes don't mix themselves alone, I know because I use Deckadance (which ironically can mean "decadence") . So im sure craig has a more than average knowledge of mixing software, any punk with a laptop will NOT mix like him, for sure. It still takes years of practire and craig has been using laptops for years. I saw him with villabos and hawtin three years ago and it was one the best gigs I'ever been to.
many djs that mix with laptops also use a USB mixing console or/and a usb keyboard. If a dj just lets the programs run itself it will lack emotion, he will suck.
I believe that the automatisation of the classic funtions will lead to an evolution in EDM. If this automatisation motivates the dj to surpass himself.Comment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
There are some great dj's like holden or Digweed that hardly ever look at the crowd i'm sure it wont even make a difference
I hear from a lot of people that Lawler is backComment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
I am not denying Craig's abilities here. I am sure he's good at what he does, and you can tell from the entry points, the long transitions, that he knows what he's doing. Why do you harbour this impression I am denying Craig's credibility because I found out he's using a laptop? If you read my first post, I described him as a consumate mixer and I meant it.software mixes don't mix themselves alone, ... It still takes years of practire and craig has been using laptops for years. I saw him with villabos and hawtin three years ago and it was one the best gigs I'ever been to.
many djs that mix with laptops also use a USB mixing console or/and a usb keyboard. If a dj just lets the programs run itself it will lack emotion, he will suck.
I believe that the automatisation of the classic funtions will lead to an evolution in EDM. If this automatisation motivates the dj to surpass himself.
It still doesn't deny the fact that mixing IS a physical labour perfected through the motions and the instincts. Your impression of mixing is beat matching to fade two tracks together. I am challenging that: The real test of beat matching is trying to hold a long mix together. For a software mixer, once you cue your tracks, that's it, done. And the transition will run as long as you want it to, you trust your software to maintain that transition until the outgoing track runs out.
I'd challenge you to try the same on a pair of decks and vinyls.
This was a simple case: Great mixing that I thought was amazing, then I discovered it was done on a laptop.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
You beautifully make yourself clear. It is true that the best music comes out of the fusion of mind and body.It still doesn't deny the fact that mixing IS a physical labour perfected through the motions and the instincts. Your impression of mixing is beat matching to fade two tracks together. I am challenging that: The real test of beat matching is trying to hold a long mix together. For a software mixer, once you cue your tracks, that's it, done. And the transition will run as long as you want it to, you trust your software to maintain that transition until the outgoing track runs out.Comment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
feather you cant put it together any better than that.Say you have a juggler juggling with his hands. And he tries to multi tasks, adding knives and chainsaws into the mix. Now you have another juggler who has a machine juggling balls. All he's doing is throwing knives and chainsaws to the machine which catches them and times each juggle perfectly. Sure he spends a lot of time thinking about the shit to throw into the mix, maybe he's standing there with paint, splattering each item in a different colour.
I am saying with both, you appreciate the end result which is the set on the whole. But clearly between the two, one of them requires a lot more practice and skill.
The bottomline is, you still need some skills to play a technically 'perfect' set using two decks, and your fingers to keep the records in time; because guess what, those vinyls aren't cut perfectly, and the decks don't run perfectly. You have to constantly make allowances for, and to fix any abberations.
All I'm trying to say is, I was blown away by the mixing. I was blown away by the amazing beat matching and the way he lined up the sounds for the transitions, and holding those transitions for so long. It was technically brilliant if it was done by hand. And this has nothing to do with beat matching being a basic skill that any DJ should know. You think beat matching is easy shit, sure, if you're doing 5-10 seconds of outros into intros. The precision of the sounds coming in, and holding those long mixes, is not something any DJ can pull off if he's used to quick and dirty fade ins and outs.
Some of you are ready to forgo beat matching and excuse the use of laptops, because software ONLY helps you with beat matching, everything else is up to the DJ. You use the idea of programming as what separates a good DJ from a bad DJ because beat matching is conveniently out of the equation.
I would challenge that, maintaining those long mixes is where real skills come in, something which is clearly easier to do with software. Track selection is what happens in the DJ's head, but mixing is ultimately reliant on his body's memory of the practice he's put into it.
still takes a tremendous amount of skill to mix with decks. a hellova lot easier with a cpu.
digweed and hernan on the laptop. soon they all will be up there with there little computers clicking away... Hillarious.
seriously though....how can Djing be playing trax on a laptop with software?
its always been mixing with two decks. its turning into a complete joke now.
Comment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
dj R-Fresh is not the kind of music you find at ms but I'm sure you know him. I saw him live like 10 years ago, mad mixing skills. That is what I could use an example of physical labor in djing, from my experience.Comment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
Hey man, that's unnecessary. We're just having some debate to kick off 2009
Despite how it looks, I really don't have anything against software or deck mixing. I won't boycott DJs because of it, this was just a case of having my amazement quickly dispelled. Anyway! Off to catch Simon Baker, have a good weekend people.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: Carl Craig is a fucking ...
did you even read my post? youre really acting like a moron here.. just because they are using software doesnt mean they are not using cdjsfeather you cant put it together any better than that.
still takes a tremendous amount of skill to mix with decks. a hellova lot easier with a cpu.
digweed and hernan on the laptop. soon they all will be up there with there little computers clicking away... Hillarious.
seriously though....how can Djing be playing trax on a laptop with software?
its always been mixing with two decks. its turning into a complete joke now .Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,205
Posts: 1,238,509
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 31
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment