If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I am just trying to make a point where picking and choosing a specific interpretation of a word is retarded. For all we know, monkeys were Gods a million years ago. For example, Hindu's thinks that cows are Godly. But here in America, calling someone a cow is an insult to their weight.
If you want to go into history, humans came from apes, eg. monkeys. By calling someone a monkey, regardless of that person's race, that is just reinforcing our evolutionary past. Am I wrong?
Is this really your position? You've always seemed like a pretty bright dude in the past, and I seriously can't even believe we're having this discussion.
Originally posted by ddr
Moreover, if President Obama was white, I still believe that this cartoon would have been released given the circumstances of Washington, the stimulus bill, and the shooting of the chimp earlier in the week.
I agree because, again, I don't actually think the cartoon was intended to be racist, nor am I even certain the chimp was supposed to be Obama -- could have been Congress. That's a different debate, though, than whether you can call a black guy a chimp without expecting some backlash (hint: you cannot). The Post's non-apology did not help. They should have said something like this:
Although the cartoon was in no way intended to have racial overtones, we understand, with the benefit of hindsight, how it could be interpreted in that fashion. To those who saw the cartoon in that light and were offended, we sincerely apologize.
How hard is that? Admits no wrongdoing but validates the concerns of those that were offended.
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
Is this really your position? You've always seemed like a pretty bright dude in the past, and I seriously can't even believe we're having this discussion.
I agree because, again, I don't actually think the cartoon was intended to be racist, nor am I even certain the chimp was supposed to be Obama -- could have been Congress. That's a different debate, though, than whether you can call a black guy a chimp without expecting some backlash (hint: you cannot). The Post's non-apology did not help. They should have said something like this:
Although the cartoon was in no way intended to have racial overtones, we understand, with the benefit of hindsight, how it could be interpreted in that fashion. To those who saw the cartoon in that light and were offended, we sincerely apologize.
How hard is that? Admits no wrongdoing but validates the concerns of those that were offended.
No toasty, that is not my position, hehe. I was just trying to think of another way calling someone a monkey could be construed and that is all that I could think of at that time.
I do not think that the cartoonist had any racial intentions with this cartoon and I find it being brought up, just utterly hilarious to say the least.
If you want to go into history, humans came from apes, eg. monkeys. By calling someone a monkey, regardless of that person's race, that is just reinforcing our evolutionary past. Am I wrong?
Moreover, if President Obama was white, I still believe that this cartoon would have been released given the circumstances of Washington, the stimulus bill, and the shooting of the chimp earlier in the week.
Clutching at straws here The link that Floridaorange put up sums it up really well !!
Originally posted by TheVrk
it IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than Hernan
"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."
Hey! Don't pick on me, I don't correct spelling or grammar. I just laugh when others do !! As for the floridaorange , I believe it shows respect to use people's names they way they do.
Originally posted by TheVrk
it IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than Hernan
If you want to go into history, humans came from apes, eg. monkeys. By calling someone a monkey, regardless of that person's race, that is just reinforcing our evolutionary past. Am I wrong?
Moreover, if President Obama was white, I still believe that this cartoon would have been released given the circumstances of Washington, the stimulus bill, and the shooting of the chimp earlier in the week.
humans didn't come from apes or monkeys. They shared a common ancestor with them.
But I think you're missing the point. This country has had a history of racial tension. Saying you wear cotton isn't as bad as implying a black man is a monkey (again, because they were referred to as being inferior, just like apes way back when). Unfortunately, many black people are going to see it that way, and you really can't fault them for that. That's just the way life is.
Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
-Bertrand Russell
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."
As the Chairman of the New York Post, I am ultimately responsible for what is printed in its pages. The buck stops with me.
Last week, we made a mistake. We ran a cartoon that offended many people. Today I want to personally apologize to any reader who felt offended, and even insulted.
Over the past couple of days, I have spoken to a number of people and I now better understand the hurt this cartoon has caused. At the same time, I have had conversations with Post editors about the situation and I can assure you - without a doubt - that the only intent of that cartoon was to mock a badly written piece of legislation. It was not meant to be racist, but unfortunately, it was interpreted by many as such.
We all hold the readers of the New York Post in high regard and I promise you that we will seek to be more attuned to the sensitivities of our community.
I read that on CNN as well and the one thing that caught my eye is this..... he says
"I can assure you -- without a doubt -- that the only intent of that cartoon was to mock a badly written piece of legislation.
but the writeup also says
The cartoon was published on Wednesday, a day after President Obama signed the stimulus bill.
Clearly, if it was meant to be what it was meant to be what he says it was mean to be, I guess they could have released the cartoon when the 750 Billion Bill was approved as opposed to when Obama signed the Bill.
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment