I went to buy this today but the store didn't have it in stock
James Zabiela Renaissance
Collapse
X
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
I really love Disc one "Down"! I think James Zabiela did a great job building up a beautiful mix. Disc two however was kind of disappointing.It's not bad, and does indeed have some good moments, but in general it is ages away from previous outstanding works that were more melodic and progressive like the legendary "Sound in motion", or even the more recent "Alive" and "Utilities" compilations.Comment
-
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
I just didnt enjoy disc 1, mainly because I think its trying too hard.
I love alternative electronic music from the likes of Warp, Planet Mu etc, but if I wanted to hear some Ed Chamberlain and Boards of Canada then I wouldnt be getting my fix from Zabiela. I would play an Amon Tobin set or something.
I agree that 2 club discs would have been a better idea - hernan's mix in the series was definitely a masterclass in this.
CD2 didnt sound to me like a Zabiela set - although ive not seen him live for about 4 years so I guess quite rightly his sound has moved on. Im still in love with his Sound In Motion CDs
Dont get me wrong, Zabiela is a very talented chap I just dont get these CDs yet. Obviously a lot of effort has gone into it, and with the whole blog and promotional build up thing I guess I was expecting to be blown away. Cant win them all!Comment
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
Got my signed copy in the mail yesterday and have already listened to both CDs 3 or 4 times now.
Really digging this compilation. Both CDs are excellent, but I am definitely favoring CD2 atm. It was a little different than I had expected, so I can see why people might be surprised and/or be dissapointed. It definitely sounds like JZ, but that first CD is much slower than most of us have ever heard from him. Personally, I think both CDs rock though! Gonna keep this on the IPod for a LONG time!
Oh, my only problem with this CD is the physical design of the jacket. It sucks getting the CDs in and out, I immediately ripped the whole CD to my computer so I hopefully will never have to remove them again for fear of damaging them.Comment
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
sounds like someones analysis of a cd is trying to hard. I enjoyed both discs, Zabiela knows how to put tunes together. You could still tell extremely easily it was him, if you just put the discs on and didnt see the case, thats one of the things i like most about himmotherloverComment
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
Im not disputing the quality of the mixing or the effort gone into it, i just dont feel the tunes on either disc for different reasonsComment
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
Many Dj's seem to be striving for somthing else other than traditional mix CD's.
Sasha completly re-works tracks ... throws 'em away .. and then re-works another batch .. Diggers has been layering his cheeky edits in groups ... Joris Voorn took it a step further, and JZ has been matching tracks to his field recordings (which takes us back to invol2ver which includes Sasha's NY field recordings).
The true test is if the CD's gathers dust/end up on e-bay .. or get put on every so often because they're timeless (like the NE series or GU classics etc.).
Only time will tell.sigpicSimonR
This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.Comment
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
Exactly! I agree 100% with you Simon on this.Many Dj's seem to be striving for somthing else other than traditional mix CD's.
Sasha completly re-works tracks ... throws 'em away .. and then re-works another batch .. Diggers has been layering his cheeky edits in groups ... Joris Voorn took it a step further, and JZ has been matching tracks to his field recordings (which takes us back to invol2ver which includes Sasha's NY field recordings).
The true test is if the CD's gathers dust/end up on e-bay .. or get put on every so often because they're timeless (like the NE series or GU classics etc.).
Only time will tell.Comment
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
Disc one is kool, but not my type of tunes. Disc two starts amazing but in my opinion drifts a little too much into spaceyness. I guess i just like it when Zabiela plays more slamming, but definitely a great listen non the less...Comment
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
It's alright, certainly not as bad as it sounds from the feedback in this thread. CD 1 sounds like any other chill out CD, CD 2 had good moments.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
-
Re: James Zabiela Renaissance
Got mine in the mail the other day also...
CD 1 is just amazing, so Damn good.... The transitions are perfect and it has an excellent build to it.
CD 2 is good, but I was a bit disappointed. It started off strong, but then it was kinda boring. But I still like it...
If you ask me the Renaissance promo he did for Proton should have been CD 2.Comment
-
Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,209
Posts: 1,238,523
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 32
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.



Comment