If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Last time I built one was back in 04. Clearly the single core chipsets are headed the way of the dodo and I decided to slowly start buying pieces to build another beast but ironically, not to game in, but for my media center / media server. So far I've pieced it up close to $1200 (still contemplating on what kind of burner to stick into it)
- Core i7 2.66 Ghz Processor
- Kingston HyperX 6 GB DDR3 Triple Channel Ram
- Asus 9600 GT Fanless Video card
- Corsair 620 Watt modular PSU
- Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo
- Antec 300 Case
I know I could've gotten a much better Lian Li case but decided to under cut the budget a bit considering I've gone past the $1000 limit and I dont even have a monitor / keyboard / optical drive yet.
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
not the dream pc i have in mind but its good enough to last for the next couple of years i think
really? wow I thought that was a pretty nutty system. the next core i7 processor is twice the price and the next one above (there are only 3 released so far) is nearly 7 times the price. with the ram and considering the 6 TB of media space that I was planning to dump into this, I thought it was dreamy enough. (At least a dream PC that I can afford).
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
Nice setup, but seems a bit of overkill for a media center / media server? I'd be going for high efficiency and low power and noise with a nice chunnk of storage in a good raid setup.
well I wanted to get something that will last me in the years ahead. I have a dual core AMD with 3 gig ram and its suffering under pressure of rendering 1080p. The fans go bananas in the box. Thats why I wanted to get a powerful CPU that will be a good option in the years ahead.
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
the i7 processor is pretty sweet .. from what i read with a little overclocking the lowest speed i7 processor could easily match the speed of the fastest i7 processor
in terms of dream pc i was thinking more of doing a triple-SLI with three XFX GTX 295 1792MB DDR3 cards and adding another 2more gb of memory ... sounds crazy but it would be sweet
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
Why don't you go for some small form factor stuff? you can get premade shuttle XPC stuff for maybe a bit cheaper than that, plus they are made for 1080p viewing etc. i want to get/build one of these tiny guys with a bunch of HD space in them and put it under my tv and replace my dvd player w/ it. that way i can watch full 1080p HD movies right off my pc.
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
yeah for sure. i was wanting to look into some type of external raid enclosure or just a tray that i could stick behind the small htpc and just use sata connections to it, and just software raid it together. havent looked into it much b/c i dont want to spend the $ on it right now but has been something ive wanted to do for a good while now.
Sorry to jump on so late... what did you decide on then Kamal?
I'm very interested in rigs that people put together and how it all pans out. I would love to build a media center pc myself for streaming high def stuff.
Sorry to jump on so late... what did you decide on then Kamal?
I'm very interested in rigs that people put together and how it all pans out. I would love to build a media center pc myself for streaming high def stuff.
my purchase has been temporized because I was able to secure a cheaper option (for the time being). I ended up buying the Linksys DMA2200 Media Center extender. It doesn't stream .mkv content but it does pretty much anything else that my Media Center PC will do. And at $94 (with free shipping), it was a logical option.
Jib says:
he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
Originally posted by ace_dl
Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment