Can't comment on what to use at the clubs but for me 192 is perfect. 128 and 160, I can hear a difference. 192, I really can't. 320 seems like an overkill and eats up a lot more space on the hard drive.
MP3 quality
Collapse
X
-
Re: MP3 quality
Actually, not so long ago I'd transcode to 64 kbps to fit more on to portable audio devices. Can barely tell any difference with all the background noise. I think anything above 160 with standard ipod ear buds is massive overkill.Comment
-
Re: MP3 quality
^what? no diff? no way.
This is from the lame encoder help, some approximate kbps to sound sources:
But I do agree with the earbuds, those things suck. You need better headphones than that for any decent sound quality.Code:A few aliases are available for ABR mode: phone => 16kbps/mono phon+/lw/mw-eu/sw => 24kbps/mono mw-us => 40kbps/mono voice => 56kbps/mono fm/radio/tape => 112kbps hifi => 160kbps cd => 192kbps studio => 256kbps
Comment
-
Re: MP3 quality
64 AAC yes, MP3 no! standard ipod earbuds can easily handle much more than 160, 1411 wav sounds like a symphony
♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•
Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.
Comment
-
Re: MP3 quality
A symphony on a bus, or a tube, or a crowded street?
Even any of the noise isolating canalphones that I've tried have a little trouble with the tube sometime.
But Yah, I was playing devil's advocate a little, as lower bitrates tend to go into vorbis or aac. My mp3 player was quite limited capacity and only for commute/sport so it was quantity over quality. Of course in a quiet room with halfway decent listening apparatus it is really easy to tell the difference up to about 192 kbps with mp3. And sometimes the difference between codecs like aac and mp3 is stunning, especially just a bit lower.
As for .wav, since there is no way of properly tagging them, anything losless gets flac'd up straight away, but that tends to only be downloaded stuff. The only lossless copy that I've made is for 5.1 materials
Anyways, anyone up for some double blind listening tests? Would be interesting to see if any of you can actually tell the difference
Comment
-
-
Re: MP3 quality
I'm on the snooty side of audio quality. Of course, I also failed this test to identify the difference between a 128 or 320 mp3:
PhilipComment
-
Re: MP3 quality
Great thread
Now a curious thing here is ,that a lot of fucking kick ass producers like to use an analog sound ( jamie jones , lee foss , varoslav , shonky , dyed soundoroum , shaun reeves , ewan pearson etc ) that will not make much of a diference if you listen to something on 320 or 192 .
Still though vynil has some great sound elements that digital cannot reproduce .
long live Vynil
Comment
-
Re: MP3 quality
I think there have been enormous compromises made in music quality over quite a few years for the sake of convenience. The joy of listening to music on high quality music systems has been sacrificed for ipod docks!! We have become used to lesser quality. I was at a friends place the other day and he has an absolute kiss ass system. It was so good. I miss it
The way the music is recorded is incredibly important. It makes lower bit rates at least listen able. But a well recorded piece of music will always sound better in a higher bit rate. If I buy tracks I always buy then in wav.The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never DiesOriginally posted by TheVrkit IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than HernanComment
-
Re: MP3 quality
192 minimum, or VBR, or 320. 128 to 192 to 320 are jumps in sound quality. 128 is useless, 192 is serviceable when music is in the background such as at work or on the move, 320 for auragasm. I have some music on AAC and Flac, but I don't really bother with the distinction between 320, AAC, or Flac.
i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music
Originally posted by Hoffa powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all landsOriginally posted by m1sT3rLOh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.
I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,207
Posts: 1,238,511
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 32
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment