as a matter of fact, just yesterday afternoon, as my wife was taking a nap, I went to my "studio" and pulled out Blacklight - Daydream, Tilt - Rendezvous, Jon Vesta - Gull, The Realm - Lost in space bootleg, Fragma toca me..really nice.
Oakenfold appreciation
Collapse
X
-
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
^^Some wicked gemms you got in your box BureOne
Blacklight - daydream what a tune!!! oldskool trance rocked back then.
Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
It was something of a movement, I agree. I was living in SoCal during the late '90's and Oakenfold was taking the scene by storm. If it weren't for Oakenfold I wouldn't be on MS and wouldn't have transitioned to Digweed, Sasha etc either. For those reasons he'll always remain on the top of my list regardless of anything else.Yes, hating on oakenfold is old. Jesus pose, beatmatching, pre-recorded sets (is there proof)?, anyway. Because of him, I did get back into the "scene". In the mid 90's I had put my turntables away, stopped purchasing records. I was tired of techno and hardhouse.
Oakenfolds sound was something fresh to me in '96-'97. Trance? These were "live" recordings I was listening too. Something not of the norm for me. it was either pre-recorded cd's you would buy at Tower, listen to dj sets on the radio for 1hour or go clubbing. But this was a live recording. Who is this and what is he playing. Radio 1? Im from the states, Los Angeles, and the closest thing we had was PowerTools. lol.
That Trance era of the late 90's was some of the best music I ever heard. I dont really give a fuck about what oakey posed as, his attitude, never met him or talked to him, but the MUSIC he was playing is what I was interested in. Platipus, BXR, Bonzai, Perfecto, Fluid, all these labels, artists, producers.. I dusted off my turntables and hit the new interwebs..found Audiogalaxy, napster, Yahoo auction, ebay auction, tracklistings.org, my record hunting began again. This time online!. White labels! Test presses.. holy shit, I love vinyl!
So yeah, eventually it turned cheesy, corny, Oakenfold repeated his same tracks over and over but at that point, I had moved on to other artists such as Digweed, Sasha, Progressive House.
If I never would have heard of Oakenfold or his 'trance shite",maybe I would have sold my tables and be listening to bullshit music on the radio.
It was fun while it lasted...
Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
He's an original and has my respect for all he's achieved. Let's not forget his input into Shoom and it was him and Terry Farley that gave Weatherall a break. So whether directly or indirectly he's made a massive difference to the scene i was into.Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
Exactly!! Same here.It was something of a movement, I agree. I was living in SoCal during the late '90's and Oakenfold was taking the scene by storm. If it weren't for Oakenfold I wouldn't be on MS and wouldn't have transitioned to Digweed, Sasha etc either. For those reasons he'll always remain on the top of my list regardless of anything else.
yup. Just like you said, whether directly or indirectly, he certainly changed the way edm scene was for me...maybe it was his superb dj skills *, maybe his music selection, maybe because technology was evolving like never before, maybe it was the essential mixes on radio 1 being broadcast all over the world..
whatever it was, Im glad I have many (what I beleive now are) trance classics in my room that I can hammer the shit out and maybe get a small feel of what oakenfold felt when he played them infront of thousands of people.
with that, fuck this cheesy trance crap pvd is playing now!Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
you aint kiddin!. I was so up oake's ass back then, I can probably re-create some of his essential mixes with the stuff I was able to grab.
Dont get me wrong, I wasn't a fanatic.. I just loved the trance production back in the day. Great stuff came out in the late 90's and being that I was lucky enough to own turntables, I just wanted them in my music collection.Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
Love hearing great memories
The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never DiesOriginally posted by TheVrkit IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than HernanComment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
If you don't think you can criticise someone for jumping around and posing in the dj booth (which is fair enough), then I don't think it's fair for you to criticise someone for not moving either. Noone can question surgeon's love for the music he plays, but you'll barely even see a subtle head nod from him when he performs.Opposed to standing there completely motion less playing music that he has no feeling for at all. When people dance in a club do they do it to music that they have no attachment to at all, because of course someone who was really into it would be stood there motionless. Something I don't see these days is that Freaky Dancing you used to get in the 90's, maybe because all them people where just there because they thought it was cool.Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
I'm not criticizing them, I just don't see the problem people have with DJ's doing a bit of show boating. Personally I think too much focus has been put DJ's these days. Club nights are like concerts these days where everyone stands facing the DJ, there seems to be a lot less interaction between the crowd. I don't care what they do in the DJ both, but then I'm not looking at them all night either. If you don't like their music thats one thing, but criticizing them for put in their hands in the air, thats something else. The ape gags are even worseIf you don't think you can criticise someone for jumping around and posing in the dj booth (which is fair enough), then I don't think it's fair for you to criticise someone for not moving either. Noone can question surgeon's love for the music he plays, but you'll barely even see a subtle head nod from him when he performs.Originally posted by res0nat0rOK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!
Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
Those were the days of trance...late 90's!you aint kiddin!. I was so up oake's ass back then, I can probably re-create some of his essential mixes with the stuff I was able to grab.
Dont get me wrong, I wasn't a fanatic.. I just loved the trance production back in the day. Great stuff came out in the late 90's and being that I was lucky enough to own turntables, I just wanted them in my music collection.
Unlike todays trance which is so pop and cheesy that you want to vomit
Bring back the good staff god damnit!
Ahhhh memories memories
i remember recording this track on a 60min tape just to listen to it all time lol!
Comment
-
Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
some good articles in Muzik Mag etc
Comment
-
Re: Oakenfold appreciation
Although it was the second GU i bought, oakey's new york album is the mix that really got me into the progressive sound of house. I was a hardcore and jungle raver up to about '96. Disc one is flawless, it is right up there with sasha's san francisco mix.
Unlike a lot of mix albums, i never get tired of listening to this, it is just so emotional, which really sums up his sound of the late 90's.
Every time i put it on i am taken back to those days when i was discovering these new sounds, albums and dj's. Good times.........Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,205
Posts: 1,238,509
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 31
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment