If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Re: Oakie to bastardize his Goa mixes for profit (aka retail release)
Originally posted by DIDI
Making money is also allowed
Yeah...
But I think what people are saying here is that altering your old mix to add your 'hot new 2k10 jamz remix' is pretty un-artistic, at least imo. You don't see the Stones re-releasing this past year Exile On Main St. (Now With New Tracks Recorded In Our Multimillion Dollar Abbey Road Studios Last Month That We Couldnt Afford To Record 30 Years Ago)!!
It's a bit of a lame thing to do if you respect the music > worship the money.
Re: Oakie to bastardize his Goa mixes for profit (aka retail release)
@ the Rolling Stones They might do it now you have suggested it though !
Yeah it is , but so what Some of the reactions have been a bit extreme here. The indignation levels are high I guess it's easy for me I really haven't been a fan.
Originally posted by TheVrk
it IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than Hernan
Re: Oakie to bastardize his Goa mixes for profit (aka retail release)
Originally posted by chunky
I don't know, made 300 double CD's of the original mix and gave them away at Cream back in 1995
chunky how long have you been clubbing? You have a great knowledge of UK cluband mate. Must have had some great nights? I never made it to Cream during its heyday myself unfortunately
Re: Oakie to bastardize his Goa mixes for profit (aka retail release)
Chunky's been clubbing since 1993 is my guess.
Oakie can do whatever he wants. He's probably got an entirely new fan base, and he's got a lot of old music that they've never heard. In a class of music where everything is constantly being remixed, it's kind of goofy to attempt to take a purists approach.
Re: Oakie to bastardize his Goa mixes for profit (aka retail release)
Originally posted by GregWhelan
chunky ......You have a great knowledge of UK cluband mate.
agree
Originally posted by floridaorange
Oakie can do whatever he wants. He's probably got an entirely new fan base, and he's got a lot of old music that they've never heard. In a class of music where everything is constantly being remixed, it's kind of goofy to attempt to take a purists approach.
Re: Oakie to bastardize his Goa mixes for profit (aka retail release)
Originally posted by GregWhelan
chunky how long have you been clubbing? You have a great knowledge of UK cluband mate. Must have had some great nights? I never made it to Cream during its heyday myself unfortunately
Its not really a knowledge, it just remember things I've seen or read in the past. I've always been into music, I went to a lot of clubs and gigs as a kid. I was a regular at The Apocalypse Club at the Astoria in London back in 1988. Apocalypse went on to become The Trip but I wasn't there because I thought the music was amazing. Me and my mate used to go there because it was the only place in London that stayed open after 2am in London and we needed somewhere to stay until we could get a train home after a weekend of gigging. I had some crazy times there but it had nothing to do with the music being played.
I used to do Dub The Earth and Mega Dog events in the early 1990's, along with the Squat party scene in London. I went to some amazing party's down Effra Road and The Dole House in Brixton. I also did some Orb gigs in the early 90's and ended up at BackToBasics in Leeds back in 92. Back then I was more into indie music and did a few tours with some bands (EMF, Radiohead, PWEI, NMA, RDF, Back To The Planet, Levelers etc).
Anyone who thinks of Oakenfold and altruism should maybe have a chat with Norman J, Terry Farley, Danny Tenaglia, Carl Cox, Nancy Noise or Lisa loud because they all have stories to tell. I think a lot of people want to associate success with greed and money making. I can understand this from anyone who looks up to these people as demi gods, but the reality is that they are human and make as many mistakes as anyone else. Oakenfold let his friend walk away from a business deal that left himself in debt to the tune of 30K when he had nothing.
Re: Oakie to bastardize his Goa mixes for profit (aka retail release)
One of my interests has always been the story behind the music. I love shows like Classic Albums or VH1's Back to the Music. I love to hear artist’s motivation behind the music and the stories that they have to tell. A good example of that is DJ Shadow's Endtroducing album. I heard this at a party years ago and immediately went out and bought it. It didn’t immediately blow me away but was voted best dance album ever in Mixmag years ago. The interview with DJ Shadow was amazing, describing what he was going through as he created that album. That Stem/Long Stem track is mind blowing. I have no idea to this day what he was trying to achieve with this track or album but I know it means a lot to him. That’s good enough for me
Last edited by chunky; November 7, 2010, 02:24:40 AM.
Re: Oakie to bastardize his Goa mixes for profit (aka retail release)
^^^ Love both those posts
Originally posted by TheVrk
it IS incredible isn't it??
STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
Simply does not get any better than Hernan
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, personalize advertising, and to analyze site activity. We may share certain information about our users with our advertising and analytics partners. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
By clicking "I AGREE" below, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our personal data processing and cookie practices as described therein. You also acknowledge that this forum may be hosted outside your country and you consent to the collection, storage, and processing of your data in the country where this forum is hosted.
Comment