-Brian
Record labels that send out promos?
Collapse
X
-
Record labels that send out promos?
I just became the electronic music genre coordinator at my college radio station, and I really want to build up the less-than-stellar collection of electronic music the station has. Thus, I am trying to find some record labels, if anybody knows of some, that would like to send promos of their records to our station to be played on the air (we are WBRS 100.1 FM Waltham, right outside of Boston www.wbrs.org). We transmit across Boston, so this would give electronic music some huge exposure to the Boston area. Also, if any amateur producers here have material that they would like to submit to be played on the air (if you're from overseas you can livestream our radio station from our website) feel free to PM me. Thank you for your time.
-BrianTags: None -
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
Now just send this to the thousands of labels that are out there and you'll be in business. I'd think that you'd hit paydirt if you could partner up with BeatPort or EDMdigital.A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had. -
Comment
-
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
Ah ok, so rather than do the legwork yourself and getting some good PR & marketing, you'd rather someone else have already done the dirty work! I see now. I'd list a few, but I wouldn't want these people bombarded by folks "claiming" to be radio people. Your best bet is to get out there, introduce yourself, provide a link to the station website, maybe some letterhead, a business card, etc. and write to these people. It's like finding a job, you sound like the guy that sits at home and calls businesses to ask if they're hiring rather than putting on a suit and tie and shaking hands with the owner/manager.A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.Comment
-
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
Cool as a cucumber here dude. I'm just a giant proponent of rolling up your sleeves and making a name for yourself. TBH there are probably a ton of people that hit up these record labels for promos each day, so without building up a level of trust you likely won't get anywhere. Not to mention that if you're hitting up companies that are already shelling a ton of stuff out, they're probably less likely to add you to their repetoire. Take note of some untapped names, up and coming labels, get in with some DJs and get the names of the PR people at the labels.
And we topped off a nice '98 Haut-Medoc tonight thank you very much.A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.Comment
-
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
Look, I've already sent out e-mails to plenty of record labels and producers, even local talent that I've heard of (sorry we aren't professional enough to have our own business cards), but I was just looking to see what record labels you guys knew of, since there are so many. I've pretty much covered the obvious ones already.Comment
-
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
well, the thingy is that we ourselves don't necessarily know which labels do send out promo's, i guess all of them do it. But if you want a few names you might have missed but that would deliver some quality releases, I'll give a few to look up:
Pissed Off
Pure Substance
Swift
Angora
Spleen
Reversible Records
Harlem Traxx
It's just a random pick, but I like their releases personally...Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.
There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -HemingwayComment
-
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
Bottom line - most labels promo stuff but how many other radio stations in other towns in other cities in other countries across the world do you think make the same request - probably into triple figures, so unless you can convince them that the benefit would be in their favour, then you're unlikely to get much response at all.Comment
-
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
Thanks a lot for the suggestions mate. I just e-mailed the ones I could find websites for, and I hope that at least some of them will reply back
Originally posted by Yaowell, the thingy is that we ourselves don't necessarily know which labels do send out promo's, i guess all of them do it. But if you want a few names you might have missed but that would deliver some quality releases, I'll give a few to look up:
Pissed Off
Pure Substance
Swift
Angora
Spleen
Reversible Records
Harlem Traxx
It's just a random pick, but I like their releases personally...Comment
-
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
Another suggestion. Go on to discogs.com and type in tracks that you enjoy, determine the label and go from there. Progressive-Sounds also has a pretty comprehensive database of "progressive" labels with contact info/websites.A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.Comment
-
Re: Record labels that send out promos?
I totally agree with my friend who enjoys SKA. Get out there and do the fingerwork (typing). As if you do it yourself you'll feel a lot better about it in the long run.Originally posted by skahoundCool as a cucumber here dude. I'm just a giant proponent of rolling up your sleeves and making a name for yourself. TBH there are probably a ton of people that hit up these record labels for promos each day, so without building up a level of trust you likely won't get anywhere. Not to mention that if you're hitting up companies that are already shelling a ton of stuff out, they're probably less likely to add you to their repetoire. Take note of some untapped names, up and coming labels, get in with some DJs and get the names of the PR people at the labels.
I know right now with the company that I am starting. I'd love to get the $$ I need from somewhere else. But frankly I don't want their input, and if I let them in with their $$ that's exactly what I am going to get. So that's why I'm getting all the $$ myself. Hell it doesn't cost THAT much to start a company of one.
Comment
Today's Birthdays
Collapse
[ms] Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 192,205
Posts: 1,238,509
Members: 53,135
Active Members: 31
Welcome to our newest member, jackfroster.


Comment