X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homegrove
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

REVIEW: Zabiela & Digweed in Helsinki sept 6th 2008

Last saturday James and John played probably the biggest DJ-oriented dance music event ever held in Finland, the Colors-festival (not to be confused with the legendary Scottish-club). We've had big events here before and even in the same building but before they’ve been more live oriented-things, this was all about DJs. Other big names on the bill were Eric Morillo and Tiesto.

The place opened at half past three in the Saturday afternoon and I went in right after five. Marcus Schössow was playing first and proved that he was the worst possible choice for that slot. Not that there we’re that many people in there yet at that point but Smith & Selway-techno was hardly the choice of music for that hour. Thankfully he toned it down a bit for his last 30 minutes.

Zabiela kicked in at six with his usual kind of atmospheric intro with some movie samples. At that point there were maybe 200 people in the room but it’s a huge room and only about 20 we’re at the front dancefloor-part (it was devided in half, the other part had the bars and you could only drink there at the back). James didn’t seem to mind. Up until his last 30 minutes I doubt he had more then 50 people at the front but it wasn’t his fault, the place was filling all the time but everyone seemed to prefer hanging at the drinking section boozing and schmoozing. The time he was playing was just bad considering it’s Finland where people can’t loosen up unless they have atleast 6 drinks in them. Yet he was smiling and popping his head and seemed really happy. Got to admire his attitude.

Music-wise he was spot on, melodic tech, some breaks and bit of prog, didn’t recognise that much apart from Ameobe Assasins – Rollercoaster (Oakie’s Courtyard Dub) which really kicked the party going for me personally, don’t think I stopped smiling after that. For the last half hour of his 3 hour set the front started fill up too and James started doing a bit of jumping too. His last tune was some amazing chilled breaks number with ethereal female vocals in some foreign language (I think).

Digweed started his 3 hour-set at 9 PM sharp to a full dancefloor with some really old school dark prog-number. He kept it quite minimal for awhile but went into pretty intense stuff pretty soon. 40 minutes in his set he played one of the toughest techno tracks I’ve heard in awhile.

He was still playing with cdjs and cdrs so I guess he’s not comfortably enough with the Traktor-set up to take it on tour. Technically I haven’t heard stuff like that in a long time, actually not since I last saw Digweed.

One fuck of a flow, seamless mixes and amazing music, the second hour was like a musical equivalent of getting run over by a freightrain, it literally left me breathless at times, it was that brutal.

Last hour he went into more melodic, even trancey (the good kind) stuff, closing with the duo of Timo Maas – Satellite and On Spec vs The Police - Voices Of Columbus (Jamie Stevens Re-Edit). The last one got one fuck of a reaction, it’s amazing live. Hopefully it’ll see the light of the day after Digweed gets bored with it himself. Didn’t recognise anything apart from the Alan Fitzpatrick-remix of Misstress Barbara’s K10, Roman Flugel & Sven Väth – Trashcan Dance and the new Christian Smith tracks on Bedrock.

After he ended I went to the front with the missus and Petra to get an autograph and pic and he was kind enough to agree to both. He also gave me the biggest laugh of the night.

Digweed: “Do I know you from someplace?”

Me: “Um… I’m Homegrove on the Bedrock-forum…”

Digweed: “YOU’re Homegrove? YOU have a girlfriend?!!”

Me: “Um…. Yeah….”

Missus was REALLY embarrassed, Petra laughed her arse off and I don’t know what to say.

After that the music went full on trance with Cosmic Gate and we took a taxi to a downtown bar where a few of my mates had a deep house night for some more (hell of a lot cheaper) alcohol.
    Forward thinking house music
  • Digger
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Nov 2004

Re: REVIEW: Zabiela & Digweed in Helsinki sept 6th 2008

nice one mate, havent heard digweed in a long time to be honest, not into minimal, but glad you had a blast.....

and where is your photo? :P...
    https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

• Homegrove
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

It's so fucking embarrassing... But...

Here goes.

I look pissed for having to pose with someone with that kind of a hairdo.

Last edited by Homegrove; September 8, 2008, 02:01:08 PM. Reason: corrected the link

Comment

• Taylor Norris
        Platinum Poster
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by digger
        and where is your photo? ...
        +1

[EDIT] oh i see

Comment

• Adzey
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Mar 2008

say cheese!

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• Aleks_B
            Gold Gabber
            • Nov 2006

thanks for you indepth review Homegroove. Can't wait to hear diggers in 2 weeks in Toronto!
            aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• day_for_night
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

thats too funny. goes to show...he reads the bedrock forum...

Comment

• ddr
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Homegrove

haha, priceless.
                "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• Homegrove
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by day_for_night
                  thats too funny. goes to show...he reads the bedrock forum...
                  I bet that he reads this and or GU too because I have only 150 posts on Bedrock...

Comment

• Steve Graham
                    DJ Jelly
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Digger
                    nice one mate, havent heard digweed in a long time to be honest, not into minimal, but glad you had a blast.....

and where is your photo? :P...

whats that got to do with anything?

Comment

• simonr
                      Transitionator
                      • Jun 2004

Great story !
                      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Steve Graham
                        DJ Jelly
                        • Jun 2004

yeah, sorry, p.s... nice review mate!

Comment

• arielus
                          He's back, in Pog form
                          • Jun 2004

great review!

the pic coulde be MUCH WORSE!

I promise to post my pic with Eelke Kleijn. He played on saturday with Hernan Cattaneo here.. gonna post a review any time soon
                          http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
                          http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
                          http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• Dzone
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jul 2004

good review ...glad you had good time

Cant wait for BedRock 10th Bday !!!
                            ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• feather
                              Shanghai ooompa loompa
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Homegrove
                              Digweed: “Do I know you from someplace?”

Me: “Um… I’m Homegrove on the Bedrock-forum…”

Funny as. Imagine if that was Jib he recognised

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...